Traveling with a Gates

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

I always just use a large "carry on" bag. Go to a good travel bag or department store with your housing (or the measurements) and find a carry-on bag that is large enough to contain the stripped-down housing but small enough to fit the airport measurement test. Make it a strong, top-quality professional bag. The black Swiss Army Victorinox bags are good.

Pack the bag with the housing in the middle wrapped in a towel, and the other essential bits (lights, lens, handles, monitor) around the edge. Keep the camera inside the housing - make sure that the housing is vertical - this'll be fine because you won't drop it. Remove the o-rings and put them in a ziplock inside the housing.

Go to the airport dressed well. Good shirt, long pants, nice shoes. Try to look as business-like as possible. The whole point of the bag and the dress is to look like a professional business traveller. Airlines love business travellers.

When checking-in, going in to the boarding lounge, passing through security and boarding the plane, walk and act as if the bag is nice and light.

Been doing the above for years and always managed to get 15 to 18 kg of camera gear into the cabin. (Caveat: most of my dive travel in around Asia)

Regards
Peter

#22 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

As long as the housing is not closed completely so pressure doesn't build, why do you remove the o rings?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#23 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

When checking-in, going in to the boarding lounge, passing through security and boarding the plane, walk and act as if the bag is nice and light.
Been doing the above for years and always managed to get 15 to 18 kg of camera gear into the cabin. (Caveat: most of my dive travel in around Asia)

Hi Peter, I had a bad experience in the red sea.

My last time there I spent two hours in an endless lane because airline guys were weighing all the hand baggage. One by one, no exception. The flight flew with a two hours delay but they earned more with the extra weight than the regular tickets :)
They discovered the old trick of the unsuspected lovely small hand baggage which weigh like depleted uranium :lol:
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#24 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

As long as the housing is not closed completely so pressure doesn't build, why do you remove the o rings?
Steve

Hi Steve,

On some housings, that could work too but, with my housing, it is either closed or open. The clamps hold the two pieces together. I'd be worried about the front part of the housing moving around and damaging the camera if the clamps were not holding the two halves firmly together.

Regards
Peter

#25 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi Peter, I had a bad experience in the red sea.

My last time there I spent two hours in an endless lane because airline guys were weighing all the hand baggage. One by one, no exception. The flight flew with a two hours delay but they earned more with the extra weight than the regular tickets :)
They discovered the old trick of the unsuspected lovely small hand baggage which weigh like depleted uranium :lol:

Ouch. Were they making people pay for the extra carry-on weight or did you have to move the excess weight to checked baggage?

I wouldnt mind paying but I'd hate to stick my housing into the checked baggage. Quite likely to get damaged.

Regards
Peter

#26 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Adding to Peter's question...what airline?
Steve

Edited by Steve Douglas, 04 April 2012 - 04:10 PM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#27 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, definitely pays to have a plan in case you get nobbled with your 18kg carry-on. At least a plastic bag to put the most prized/valuable 7kg of stuff into. If you get nobbled at the gate then airlines normally let you walk your treasured bag right to the aircraft and you can get away without extra charge. The trouble is that European airports increasingly weigh the carry-on bag at the check-in desk and then you're stuffed.

Oh what fun to have strangers tripping over your open suitcase in a busy airport concourse while you figure out how to squeeze your housing between your smalls, then rejoin the back of a long and frustrated check-in queue, then be sent to the naughty counter so that your credit card can get a good shafting too.

#28 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

It happened to me two times with different airlines. I left 200$ of extra weight :lol:

Based on my friend's report, it become very common in Red Sea travels, and airlines refuse to offer a "diver" package with extra weigh for these destinations. Usually you buy a full package which comprises flight, hotel/cruise and dives.
So most of the times, it depends on the tour operator, you are left with only 15Kg of checked baggage and 5Kg of hand baggage. In such destination I just carry with me just a couple of flip flop and two t-shirts but it still very difficult staying into 15Kg with the scuba gear.
In Italy, usually they are lenient on hand baggage but on the return flight, the check in clerks are waiting for you rubbing their hands like bandits.

My last time in Marsa Alam, they hadn't the credit card payment working so they pretended and obtained to pay cash. Some of passengers did not have enough cash with them so after a brawl (with police action) we organized a collection to raise money for all. We were all directed in Rome, so at the arrival there was an exchange in front of the first ATM. We all had the impression that the police was acting in concert with them. We were left alone.

I still remember the airport employee checking the baggages with one hand and holding a bunch of money with the other hand.
Sad but true :)

Edited by M43user, 05 April 2012 - 12:31 AM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#29 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I agree that charter airlines in Europe in particular are almost zealous now in their strict weighing of hand luggage when checking in. In the past I've had the situation where my bag alone weighed 5kg which was the total allowance for hand luggage and I especially hate the 'tagging' system that many of them now employ to verify that your bag has in fact been weighed, so there is no way you can hide it round the corner with a relative anymore.

By some kind of fortuitous good luck I've only ever been collard once before and that was on a flight from KUL to MNL so it just goes to show they can grab you when it is least expected (although on that flight admittedly we were trying to travel with 100kg of luggage with a 40kg allowance!!). There has also been times when it was cheaper to upgrade to business class for the extra luggage allowance than it was to pay the excess baggage charges so keep that in mind too! The draconian luggage allowances these days certainly make traveling on a budget with cameras a very stressful experience.

#30 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

We ruined this thread in a horror movie :lol: :) :)

#31 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

I'm not a fan of BA but I noticed a while back that they have a pretty reasonable tariff of charges for taking A LOT of extra baggage on long haul flights. Certainly cheaper than getting nabbed and having to pay for excess at the airport. I remember thinking I might use them if I was moving my stuff back to the UK.

Also there is some merit in sticking with the same airline as much as is reasonable, and working your way up the frequent flyer levels. I'm currently doing this with Qatar. Everything seems to get easier if you're holding an airline's gold card or whatever in your hand. Philip Bloom's frequent flyer allowance of 4x32kg with Virgin is a case in point.

#32 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I have a lot of miles on my Delta card which I used to be able to use on Singapore Airlines, my favorite airline. But now Singapore Air and Delta are no longer partners and Delta doesn't go to a lot of the places I have in mind. Never been to Raja Ampat but I don't think Delta goes there or anywhere near it.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#33 seeesharky

seeesharky

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

So I just returned from my trip. I completely broke my housing down and discovered it fit really snuggly and comfortably in my Lowpro Computrek-Aw back pack without carrying the 17" laptop it is supposed to take. Weighing in at 19kgs. I caught 6 planes in 3 weeks with Singapore Airlines and no one said a word. The Lowpro offered sufficient padding and security. I was sad to leave the SPW44 behind, but it was so much better than being charged $1400 in excess, or leaving the camera and housing at home (which I was considering too, and was getting really depressed about) which was the original quote from the airline. Also when Sydney Airport lost all my luggage for 24hrs, I still had my camera and housing. The Lowpro backpack is so well designed and strong. It had no problems nor did the stitching show any signs of stress. The only horror was lifting it into the overhead locker, I normally got someone to help. I will use my Lowpro again this way and have no problem at all in doing so. I hope this helps some others too.

#34 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Nice to hear you managed to get on so well! Generally scheduled airlines and even some low cost airlines are a lot more lenient than charter flights, which as mentioned above can be a nightmare to carry gear on!

#35 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

It's a WIN for the people. So many times we have all be screwed, it's good to hear a positive story.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#36 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

So I just returned from my trip. I completely broke my housing down and discovered it fit really snuggly and comfortably in my Lowpro Computrek-Aw....

I've been using a Lowepro Computrekker Plus for years as my carry on bag. They are superb bags.

#37 Okidiver

Okidiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Diving, guitar, danger

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Great thread; videographers can be so devious.
I've got a Gates Diego monstrosity with a Fathom WA lens that is wrapped in a wetsuit, along with my Sony TRV900 in a camera bag that fits nicely in the bottom compartment of an eBag mother lode wheeled carry on.
Old, but gold.
In the upper compartment go my regs and dive computers.
Yes, it's kinda heavy, but I do pull ups every day and try not to strain when I heave it into the perfectly sized overhead bins.
Remember, it's OK to sneak heavy video dive equipment on board, vice stupid stuff like clothing and shoes.