1 reply to this topic

#1 scuba mick

scuba mick

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

Gday All

Its my first time out with a new hobby and camera. I have a Nikon D50 10-17 Tokina Ikelite housing with 1 YS110 strobe option of 2.
Im just after some advice on how to get a better photo more definition and colour.
All help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Mick

Attached Images

• DSC_1026.JPG
  • DSC_1028.JPG

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

Gday All

Its my first time out with a new hobby and camera. I have a Nikon D50 10-17 Tokina Ikelite housing with 1 YS110 strobe option of 2.
Im just after some advice on how to get a better photo more definition and colour.
All help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Mick

There have been a couple of good threads where people have put tips in, trying to dig them up now.

Not sure how much diving or photography you have done before (for instance in terms of adjusting f/stops, ISO and shutter speed based on conditions), but some rules to start with

1.) Get close to your subject, less water between the subject and you is better.
2.) Try to shoot up and not down.
3.) Shoot RAW to help with post work in case you need to tweak things.

A proper exposure is a combination of f/stop, shutter and ISO is needed. Looked like some camera movement in the shots, increasing the shutter speed could help (though you may need to then increase ISO or open the f/stop to keep the exposure the same). Strobes can help freeze action and stop movement also.

On your lobster shot EXIF indicates a shutter speed of 1/20 of a second and the top shot 1/15. Both are generally going to be real slow and you are going to get blur. The focal length on both were 17mm, and looking and the subjects you probably gotten closer. Also noticed you shot aperture priority, you may want to switch to shutter priority (with setting of about 1/100-1/125 second) to start with and boost the ISO. On the shots you have if you were shooting with a strobe it looks like you may need to reposition it a bit, looks cyan and if you were close the strobe should have lit things up better, or may not be synching properly at the slow shutter speeds. (Note sure how your camera/strobe would work.)

If you need a bit more on what the ISO, f/stop, shutter things are all about, will be happy to get into that a bit more for you.