Photo
- - - - -

Apple Thunderbolt Display for photo editing?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Replacing my older iMac and Macbook Pro with new Macbook Pro and display, but I've been reading bad press about the Apple display i.e.(glossy screen, LED backlit vs. CCFL, sRGB color range, a bitch to calibrate etc.).

Curious if anyone has experience with the newer Thunderbolt display and/or a better display that they own?

This is the setup I'm going for:
http://twelvesouth.c...okarc/gallery/#
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#2 uw_nikon

uw_nikon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Curious if anyone has experience with the newer Thunderbolt display and/or a better display that they own?

I have the Dell U3011 connected via DisplayPort.
-better calibration
-larger color gamut (see attached profiles created with i1 Display2; the snow leopard version of the calibration sw allows much better tweaking of u3011 monitor)
-anti-glare (I wish Apple would get away from the glossy screen look. Yes, it makes very clean packaging and better color saturation; but, there's way too much reflection from the screen in most lighting conditions)

Apple Thunderbolt Display profile:
J59_thunderbolt_display.png

Dell U3011 profile:
Dell_u3011_Displayport.png

The Apple Thunderbolt display has a huge advantage _only if_ you have a 2011 MacBook Air and need FireWire, 1000BaseT Ethernet, and three more USB2 ports.

Edited by uw_nikon, 19 February 2012 - 01:33 PM.

Chris Simmons
UW photo methods

#3 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Replacing my older iMac and Macbook Pro with new Macbook Pro and display, but I've been reading bad press about the Apple display i.e.(glossy screen, LED backlit vs. CCFL, sRGB color range, a bitch to calibrate etc.).

This is the setup I'm going for:
http://twelvesouth.c...okarc/gallery/#

Mike,

I believe he MacBook Pro is almost due for a refresh, unless you want the current one for some specific reason there may be a better machine for the same money coming down the line in the near future.

Steve

#4 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Chris -- I thought about a Dell or LaCie, but I will be using a new MacBook Pro w/ Thunderbolt attached to the display, so it seems to me the advantages of the Apple display outweigh the disadvantages. Not sure I would notice much of a difference in my prints after calibrating the display....which reminds me should I get an i1 Display 2 or Spyder 4?? Can't figure out which is more "dummy proof" and will work well on the Apple display?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

I have the Dell U3011 connected via DisplayPort.
-better calibration
-larger color gamut (see attached profiles created with i1 Display2; the snow leopard version of the calibration sw allows much better tweaking of u3011 monitor)
-anti-glare (I wish Apple would get away from the glossy screen look. Yes, it makes very clean packaging and better color saturation; but, there's way too much reflection from the screen in most lighting conditions)

Apple Thunderbolt Display profile:
J59_thunderbolt_display.png

Dell U3011 profile:
Dell_u3011_Displayport.png

The Apple Thunderbolt display has a huge advantage _only if_ you have a 2011 MacBook Air and need FireWire, 1000BaseT Ethernet, and three more USB2 ports.

Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#5 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thanks Steve, but I'm really frustrated with trying to edit on my 5 year old iMac....it's frustrating enough learning PS & LR and with the spinning beach ball I better get something quick before I throw both computers out the window! :D

Mike,

I believe he MacBook Pro is almost due for a refresh, unless you want the current one for some specific reason there may be a better machine for the same money coming down the line in the near future.

Steve

Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#6 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Mike,

Steve

Not sure if it will be coming that soon, they refreshed it a bit in October. Think the new ones down the road still a bit. iPad 3 and MacBook Air/Pro 15" may come first. I actually picked up the 17" April 2011, not that much difference and I can still run Snow Leopard if needed :D

#7 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

I would bet the new MacBook Pro won't be out until Ivy Bridge comes out in May/June.
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#8 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks Drew & focker -- At the rate new tech is hitting the street looks like upgrading yearly!

What do y'all use to calibrate your Mac displays? Looking for something easy....maybe Spyder 4?

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

That's what Apple wants you to do... annual upgrades! Colormunki is probably the most accurate but also certainly the most expensive. I've had many problems with Spyder 2 (sensor died numerous times). Eye One is also a great calibrator.
The nice thing about Spyder is that it does REC709 which is good for broadcast video.

I hope Apple goes back to Nvidia so I can get some acceleration with CS5.5.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

I calibrate with a X-Rite Eye-One with excellent results.
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#11 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Which calibrator would be the best for the computer challenged? X-Rite website looks geared more toward pros while the Spyder looks to be geared for the mentally challenged such as myself.

Thanks for your help!
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#12 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

The Eye-One is very simple to use, you would be up and running with it in a few minutes.

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

The Eye One software is straight forward and easy to use. However I would wait for the MBP to get the retina LEDs. The high res screen available now is just not that great.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#14 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks all! No offense, but I ordered the Spyder 4 Pro as it seemed to be the latest calibrator that's compatible with Lion. The X-Rite i1D2 is discontinued and replaced by the more expensive i1Display2.
The new Spyder even calibrates the iPhone and iPad....not that I need that.

Drew - I'll be loading my pics onto the MBP on trips and then hooking up to a Thunderbolt display at home, but would be interested in learning about the retina LEDs. Also being new to video what software should I use to edit GoPro 2 footage? I have iMovie, LR3, and PS5.

Thanks again! :D
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#15 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Mike I would play with iMovie to start. You could always find a copy for Final Cut Express or Adobe Premiere Elements if you want to use something else but iMovie is a good starting point IMHO.

#16 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

I wouldn't buy final cut express since it's slow and not optimized. The move from iMovie is now FCX.

Drew

#17 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

I have a Macbook Pro and use the Apple Cinema Display and have been very pleased, If your workspace has controlled lighting there is no problem with glare and it is a brilliant display.
The new X-Rite ColorMunki Display is a very easy affordable calibration device that I have been using since Xmas.

http://www.bhphotovi...ki_Display.html
Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Nikon D300, Sea and Sea MDX-D300, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 12-24mm, ULCS Hardware

#18 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Mike,
This is probably far too late but my publisher, Ken Stone, is now using an iMac with Thunderbolt and he loves it. Personally, I don't think I could get used to a glossy screen but it seems he has.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.