• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Well it has submarines planes and lots of action with explosions and gunfire... and for WP, underwater scenes shot on a 5D2, and it looked pretty darn awesome on a 75ft screen. Sometimes 600lpi doesn't matter so long as the DP knows what they are doing. Here's the trailer:

[youtubehd]ZnlPgo9TaGo[/youtubehd]

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Well it has submarines planes and lots of action with explosions and gunfire... and for WP, underwater scenes shot on a 5D2, and it looked pretty darn awesome on a 75ft screen. Sometimes 600lpi doesn't matter so long as the DP knows what they are doing. Here's the trailer:

Amazing, isn't it? I looked around when they started with the trailers and "Featuring Real Navy Seals," and caught the 5D Mark II info. Was the whole thing shot on 5D Mark IIs?

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

Nope, 1D4 and 7Ds mixed into it. Mostly Zeiss and Pana lenses.

Read Shane's blog for some insight:

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Opps it was actually 70% DSLR and the rest on HDCAM/film. Almost all the action scenes were DSLR.

Drew

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Opps it was actually 70% DSLR and the rest on HDCAM/film. Almost all the action scenes were DSLR.

Thanks for the link, will go through it. Very impressive showing for the DSLRs.

Cannot wait to see what the next 5D looks like spec wise.

#6 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

While it is cool that this was shot on 5D's, I think the movie itself is crap. This is nothing but a shiny Navy propaganda piece. They don't tell you the part about how many people who are navy seals end up having PSTD. Or how the rates of marital abuse are higher with ex-military personnel.. or or or...

http://www.wired.com...g/act-of-valor/

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Have you seen it? I have and I thought it was entertaining in a macho BS sort of way. Nice shots of the action and "realistic" portrayal of the action.
It's definitely a PR piece for the Navy. Why else would they give access to aircraft carriers etc, live rounds and let their personnel act in a movie? Movies have never the most "ethical" of crafts. Any major production is carbon negative, the environmental impact is often great and stories often BS, plus there are plenty of product placements (note how many times certain brand products are utilized in a movie or TV show?!? Welcome to the world of entertainment. However, this particular movies feeds off the baser feelings with first person POV (just like Call of Duty), lots of action and even more testosterone.

Drew

#8 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

I understand that a lot of entertainment is BS. This is not new to me. Neither is it new that the military tries to put propaganda into our entertainment.

I do think it is probably not good for someone, psychologically, to watch this. Just as I think watching "The Real Housewives of NJ" makes my girlfriend more emotionally unstable, in a similar vane this makes people more likely to acquiesce to the problem of an ever expanding military.... because we begin to believe it is cool...

I prefer not to entertain these sorts of entertainments... because they fill our brains with doo-doo.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

LOL Perhaps I'm naive but I have a higher opinion of humans in general. I expect them to be able to differentiate between fact and fiction.... but judging from some of the reactions in today's political scene... I'm not naive... just deluded!! LOL

Still it was a fun film and it only lacked more sex appeal to be a real commercial movie. It would've been fun for the SEAL team to portray a don't ask don't tell gay character in it just to shake things up. Definitely not in the perceived demographic, but then again the archaic attitudes won't change if the general pop culture doesn't move toward it more rapidly.

Drew

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Is it just me? Or does anyone else want to eat a piece of Momma's Apple pie and shout Hooah!!! While trying to dodge 'friendly fire' :lol:

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

History is always written by the victors. Maybe I am dating myself but back in the 50's there were a million movies released on World War 2 and then the Korean War. Then later on, another slew of films covering the Vietnam war and in the past several years more movies regarding the middle East. It may be macho and all that stuff but it is the way of the theater and, while I may not buy into all the bs, a form of patriotic release.

I was sent two advance preview tickets for tonight which, unfortunately I cannot attend, so my wife and a friend will be going without me. I am jealous.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#12 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

I understand that a lot of entertainment is BS. This is not new to me. Neither is it new that the military tries to put propaganda into our entertainment.

I agree

And I'm tired to see the same color grading again and again and again. The same soup warmed up!

Navy Seals should find and catch the director of photography of Transformers!!! :rofl:

If I was Obama I would ban AE and MB form the Earth :lol:

[PEDANT MOD MODE ON]

OT OT OT
Would be nice moving this thread on Editing, Post Production, and Sharing and maybe formatting the embedded video so users could see also on a normal screen?

[PEDANT MOD MODE OFF]

Edited by M43user, 23 February 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#13 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Don't know if you ever have seen the cop show 'Southland' but they practically desaturate the entire show to get that gritty street feel. Very realistic show. You're right, this should have been posted in the Editing, Production and Sharing forum, not gear. Well, anyone can make a mistake.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#14 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Don't know if you ever have seen the cop show 'Southland' but they practically desaturate the entire show to get that gritty street feel. Very realistic show. You're right, this should have been posted in the Editing, Production and Sharing forum, not gear. Well, anyone can make a mistake.
Steve

I found it on YT
the grading is a sort of the Classic "bleach bypass". It's second only to' the "transformer" or blockbuster look

the thread is ok but please resize the embedded video.

PS
any chance having a mobile layout here

byeeeeee
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/