Photo
- - - - -

Use of SubSee 10x magnifier & 105mm VR, experiences please.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my Subal 105mm VR port for the Nikon 105mm VR, and am looking for experiences on how well this works. I'm assuming DOF must be about zero. Can you compare against other solutions? Also, how does it affect subject distance?

Thanks much,

Edited by Kilili, 22 February 2012 - 12:26 PM.

Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

It is a fine combo. Optically I can't think of any better way to achieve such high magnification with a single item.

You have a very narrow camera to subject distance to work with - all of which is pretty close to the camera. But you are likely to use this setup with subjects that don't move too much - so this doesn't matter. If you can try with small strobes - which make light positioning easier. At such close camera to subject distances you don't need a lot of welly.

AFAIK, the +10 Subsee is their better seller - but whenever I have had both on workshops and they are available for people to borrow - the +5 is always the more popular, one people have tried them once. Unless you want ultimate magnification and intend to use the Subsee +10 at/or close to minimum focus on the lens - you will find the +5 is more suited to more subjects, more of the time.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

It is a fine combo. Optically I can't think of any better way to achieve such high magnification with a single item.

You have a very narrow camera to subject distance to work with - all of which is pretty close to the camera. But you are likely to use this setup with subjects that don't move too much - so this doesn't matter. If you can try with small strobes - which make light positioning easier. At such close camera to subject distances you don't need a lot of welly.

AFAIK, the +10 Subsee is their better seller - but whenever I have had both on workshops and they are available for people to borrow - the +5 is always the more popular, one people have tried them once. Unless you want ultimate magnification and intend to use the Subsee +10 at/or close to minimum focus on the lens - you will find the +5 is more suited to more subjects, more of the time.

Alex

Wot Alex said, I got the +10 because I figured more was best, but in practise its often too much.

Otara

#4 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1766 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

The Subsee +10 provides very fine optical quality, but some degradation is inevitable as you increase magnification.

The magnification playing field is not level either, with some diopters tested and quoted in air and others in water. The +10 is an in-water measurement and in practice, is pretty much the most powerful magnifier around.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#5 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

This is before and after with the Subsee +10 and the 105VR on the D7000, Nauticam housing and macro port 87.

The impressive magnification and image quality speak for themselves I think, but I found you do need a lot of patience (and a buddy with patience) and benign water conditions.

Posted Image

Uncropped

Posted Image
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#6 jander4454

jander4454

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

The Subsee +5 and +10 are both terrific units - it's just a pity they don't stack!

Sony a6000 in Nauticam with Inon D-2000 flashes
www.nudibranch.org/