4 replies to this topic

#1 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Muck diving

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

I was on a mission at Tulamben to shoot some boxer crabs. I swam past a rock and this was on it. Grabbed a lousy shot as I swam by and of course now cant ID it. Looked through my crab books and online no go. Someone suggested it might be a hermit crab out of it shell but I have never seen a hermit crab like this.

Sorry about the out of focus shot.

regards

Attached Images

• P9284139.jpg

Regards to all

Ardy

Of all the cleaning stations, on all the Bommies in the world - you chose this one

Olympus E-520, 50mm macro, 14-42mm, Olympus housing with SnS 110a & Inon Z240-4 flash.

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Nope, just a shaggy crab in the family Pilumnidae. Do an image search on Heteropilumnus ciliatus or Heteropilumnus hirsutior and see which one you think it is.

#3 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Nope, just a shaggy crab in the family Pilumnidae. Do an image search on Heteropilumnus ciliatus or Heteropilumnus hirsutior and see which one you think it is.

Wonderful Leslie - not exactly the same but enough to make a rough picture ID Heteropilumnus hirsutior. As I have seen nothing else like this and in the absence of any other suggestions I think this is it.

I wonder if they are common in Bali?
Regards to all

Ardy

Of all the cleaning stations, on all the Bommies in the world - you chose this one

Olympus E-520, 50mm macro, 14-42mm, Olympus housing with SnS 110a & Inon Z240-4 flash.

#4 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Maybe. As with most pilumnids they're pretty well camouflaged by the hairs & all the silt/debris attached to them so they'd be hard to see unless they're moving.

#5 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Maybe. As with most pilumnids they're pretty well camouflaged by the hairs & all the silt/debris attached to them so they'd be hard to see unless they're moving.

Yes Leslie I guess this one was out looking for a feed as it was 6.30am.
Regards to all

Ardy