6 replies to this topic

#1 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hello,

I am getting some buoyancy for my camera and have seen that 2 x 6 inch Stix arms with floats will cost about 100, as opposed to getting two 8 inch ULCS arms and floats which would cost about 130.

My existing setup uses ULCS clamps, are they compatible with Stix Arms or will the damage the ball at the end of the Stix arms which appears to be rubber?

Would appreciate anyone's advise on this.

Cheers,
John

#2 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hello,

I am getting some buoyancy for my camera and have seen that 2 x 6 inch Stix arms with floats will cost about 100, as opposed to getting two 8 inch ULCS arms and floats which would cost about 130.

My existing setup uses ULCS clamps, are they compatible with Stix Arms or will the damage the ball at the end of the Stix arms which appears to be rubber?

Would appreciate anyone's advise on this.

Cheers,
John

I use the Ultralight Arms with the Stix floats and love them. Can't go wrong with that combo. ULCS are the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Ive tried others, but I haven't tried the stix arms or even looked at them. What make ULCS different is the o ring on the ball end. It helps keep the arms locked in place.

Kirk

#3 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

I use Stix arms and find them very good. Very lightweight and a modular system so you can add/remove buoyancy as you wish. I also sell them, caveat....
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#4 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Alex since you sell them can you answer the OP's question "My existing setup uses ULCS clamps, are they compatible with Stix Arms or will the damage the ball at the end of the Stix arms which appears to be rubber?" ? I am curious too.
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#5 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have used the Stix arms with ULCS clamps going on 5+ years now. They work well, the only draw back is that the early Stix ball ends were a softer plastic/polymer and would get chewed up a bit when really tightening the clamps. That was easily solved, since the ball ends can be exchanged. The new ball ends are harder and it is not really a problem now.

Elmer

Edited by eyu, 26 February 2012 - 08:42 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#6 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thanks....

Did a little comparison of lift vs approx cost however this does not take into account the negative buoyancy of the Ultralight 8" Double Ball Arm segment as I dont know what it weighs.

Ultralight 8" Large Buoyancy arm - 2" diameter - $68 - Lift 4.5 oz
Ultralight 8" Double Ball Arm segment - $66 - 12 oz
StiX 6" Strobe Arm with 2 large floats - $45 - 9 oz

Seems like the Stix arms is the best value for money but I am afraid of them getting munched up by the ULCS clamps...

#7 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Seems like the Stix arms is the best value for money but I am afraid of them getting munched up by the ULCS clamps...

The ULCS clamps work well and really don't munch up the Stix ball ends. I have both ULCS and Stix arms and prefer to use the Stix arms because they are lighter and give me adequate buoyancy with the large floats where I would need a few jumbo floats if I used my ULCS arms.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats