Camera: 5D MII with latest firmware update ( ~ camera 1.5 years old)
Strobes: Sea and Sea 110 alpha (Two ~ 1.5 years old)
Aquatica Housing for 5D MII (new)
Sea and Sea TTL Converter and battery for Canon (new)
Sea and Sea Sync Chords for strobes (new)
Aquatica 6 pin bulkhead Type C hot shoe assembly for Canon camera with 6 pins (new part number 18920.1): http://aquatica.ca/e...connectors.html
The 5DM II will will not fire the 2 Sea and Sea 110 alpha strobes.
I have had Cathy Church's photography shop switch out the standard 5 pin bulkhead connection with the new 6 pin bulkhead hotshoe connection. Her and her technician worked on this for 2 hours and could not find the problem.
Troubleshooting so far:
1) Strobes worked fine during the week while using my Canon S95 and fiber optic cable setup
2) I have test fired my new 580 EX II Canon Flash multiple times and it works fine and all menus are reading normal
3) We have attempted to use both manual switch settings and TTL settings in accordance with manufacture's manuals (i.e. both up and down)
4) We have used a digital tester to check for continuity on each segment of the circuit/wiring from 6 pin hotshoe all the way to strobes
5) We have test fired the strobes manually in the shop by disconnecting the strobes from the TTL converter and going through the new sync chord.
6) We have verified proper settings on the back of the strobes
7) We have turned on the equipment in the following order: Sea and Sea TTL Converter, Sea and Sea Strobes, Canon 5D MII
8) We cleared all custom function settings for both the camera and the flash settings
9) We attempted to trigger the strobes while in Manual and AV mode on the camera settings but that did not work.
Noted the following on the Canon 5D MII Flash Settings when all was hooked up and turned on:
Under the "External Speedlight Control" in the camera menu, the flash settings could not be changed because the flash was not being recognized (i.e. the menus were "grayed out").
Has anyone run into this problem with a 5D MII in an Aquatica Housing with Sea and Sea strobes and not had their strobe fire either manually or in TTL mode?
Is there a possibility that there is setting that I am missing on the camera that is not causing the strobes to fire?
Is there an issue with the circuit speed of the strobes is not compatable with the camera signal speeds/timing? I found the following issue on another forum with regards to using a Heinrichs Weikamp converter:
Sep 21 2009, 01:50 PMThe Heinrichs Weikamp converter will not work with the D700 and YS110 alpha's. The YS110 alpha timings (12000 us) are not quick enough for the D700 (7500 us). The only option for you is to use the sea & sea converter. As has already been alluded to, this will also require rewiring the bulkhead to use all 5 pins. IIUC, this means replacing the bulkhead on the aquatica housings.
While this is a different setup I am not sure if the same timing issue applies with what I have.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by meltdownman, 26 February 2012 - 08:29 AM.