7 replies to this topic

#1 Marcelo Krause

Marcelo Krause

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi

I need to buy some new lights for use with my DSLR with WA and during daytime. I have seem the Keldan Luna 8 in action and liked very much. Unfortunately a pair of those is too expensive for me right now.
Have anyone used the new Luna 4 V? How does it compare to the higher end model or the competition? Any input is most welcome.

Thanks,
Marcelo Krause

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hey Marcelo,

I'm using some on Friday....!

I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

I also just received a pair and as soon as the weather improves, hope to get out and test them as well.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 Marcelo Krause

Marcelo Krause

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks!!! Looking foward to read your comments!!!

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

Hi all,

I did get to use the LUNA 4s last Friday and have posted some video onto the front page:

http://wetpixel.com/...l-gear-testing/

I did not have enough time to run a full evaluation of the lights, but can give some first impressions. Please note that these are not comparative to other similar products, just my personal observations.

Firstly, these are very small and compact. Almost incredibly so. This makes them very attractive for use with an SLR. They could be quite easily added to an SLR housing with strobes, allowing the user to switch between light sources as required.

They are pretty bright-and certainly bright enough as a light source for video. I don't think that they will replace strobes for still use though.

The color temperature is a really nice. I appreciate that this is subjective, but the effect on skin tones, fish colors is great. The video on the front page is ungraded, and the shallower portions in particular should show this. The torches have a very nice even beam and no hot spots. I was using an 8-16mm lens (mostly at the 8mm end) behind a Zen 230mm dome, and the beams do drop off at the edges with this (as you can see in some of the footage). A slightly tighter zoom would deal with this, but I was aiming to show the spread angle.

I hope to have the LUNA 4s back again towards the end of March for more thorough testing, and a proper review. I am also intending to use the SOLA 4000s and the Mangrove VC-4L6 and to try and provide some form of comparison.

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Still waiting for the conditions to improve so I have not gotten them in the water yet. In your video there were 2 things that I took notice of. In one scene a diver with what appeared to be an 8" port passes in front of you. It didn't appear to me that lights were on him. Were they? Another scene when you were finning through the fuselage also appeared to be dark as well. How much of a penetration of light did you notice when using them?
Glad to finally see them in action.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 IanH

IanH

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi all,

I did get to use the LUNA 4s last Friday and have posted some video onto the front page:

http://wetpixel.com/...l-gear-testing/

I did not have enough time to run a full evaluation of the lights, but can give some first impressions. Please note that these are not comparative to other similar products, just my personal observations.

Firstly, these are very small and compact. Almost incredibly so. This makes them very attractive for use with an SLR. They could be quite easily added to an SLR housing with strobes, allowing the user to switch between light sources as required.

They are pretty bright-and certainly bright enough as a light source for video. I don't think that they will replace strobes for still use though.

The color temperature is a really nice. I appreciate that this is subjective, but the effect on skin tones, fish colors is great. The video on the front page is ungraded, and the shallower portions in particular should show this. The torches have a very nice even beam and no hot spots. I was using an 8-16mm lens (mostly at the 8mm end) behind a Zen 230mm dome, and the beams do drop off at the edges with this (as you can see in some of the footage). A slightly tighter zoom would deal with this, but I was aiming to show the spread angle.

I hope to have the LUNA 4s back again towards the end of March for more thorough testing, and a proper review. I am also intending to use the SOLA 4000s and the Mangrove VC-4L6 and to try and provide some form of comparison.

Adam

Look forward to comparason as I am interested in the Mangrove VC-4L6 as they are half the price of the compition

regards

Ian

Edited by IanH, 08 March 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#8 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi Steve,

The video was shot with two cams:

A Nikon D7000 in a Nauticam NA-D7000V housing, 8-16mm lens and an 9" dome port, which was equipped with the Luna lights.

A Sony NEX-5n in a 10 Bar housing, without lights.

The shots without lights are from the latter.

Light penetration was good, there is a shot from the D7000 looking forward inside the fuselage that shows the beam intensity and coverage quite well I think. Please bear in mind this was not a review in itself and the published video is more about the doing of it than there to be examined critically for the light's performance.

Adam

Editor-wetpixel