#1 BeJuri

BeJuri

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Underwater filming - photo graphy

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hi all,

Well I'm new at the forum, after a recommendation of a friend...

I have a RSM250 marine tank and like to experiment with making movies from different angles INSIDE my tank. :rofl:

I have looked at the GoPro but actually I need a lot of extra stuff (like Blurfix, remote control, LCD screen....) to get crystal clear shots and all minimum gear I like to have on a camera though I'm still a bit worried about the focus, actually I need macro focus combined with normal focus...
I also like to have a remote control so I can manage my camera while it's hanging in my tank... ;)
For this purpose it needs to be small as well.

Further on I also like to make a pictures and movies of my koi fishes underwater...

And because I like making pictures, I like as well to make some high quality outdoor pictures...

I also have seen the Panasonic camera HX-WA20 though I believe there is no remote for this camera but it seems to me the quality of this camera is much better then GoPro or...

Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of HD video camera to use?

PS I'm not a deep sea diver... jet... though I do snorkeling once and a while... :lol:

#2 gsk3

gsk3

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'm in a similar predicament, and the ContourROAM has come up a few times. No monitor, though...it's just the basics.

My needs are slightly different, though, in that the Panasonic you mention only goes to 10 ft and I go to 170. So you may be able to make do with a lesser depth rating and get better image quality/features.

#3 BeJuri

BeJuri

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Underwater filming - photo graphy

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

I'm in a similar predicament, and the ContourROAM has come up a few times. No monitor, though...it's just the basics.

My needs are slightly different, though, in that the Panasonic you mention only goes to 10 ft and I go to 170. So you may be able to make do with a lesser depth rating and get better image quality/features.

Yes, I have seen the contour as well. Though still I miss the remote control and the monitor as well, though compared with Contour my opinion is that the HD Hero quality is better and you can have all after upgrading.. :)

I just wonder if there is anything better available then the Panasonic HX-WA20... :swimmingfish:

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

I was playing in a band at a local club recently. My wife's friend, unbeknownst to me was filming it on his iPhone 4s. This was a pretty dark club and I was amazed at how good the footage turned out. Almost no video noise at all. I took the GoPro Hero, (first model) there the other night and also filmed, the room was even darker and, while there was no noise, it was too dark to really see anything on the video. I don't even own a cell phone since I work from home and don't need one but I was really impressed with that iPhone footage.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.