• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kmo_underwater

kmo_underwater

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'm a wide angle nut, but took this photo of a blenny (?) the other day on a sunrise snorkel. Any help with an ID would be appreciated. Approximately 100mm in length, location Fremantle, Western Australia approximately 500mm below the surface.

Posted Image
Blenny at dawn by kmo_underwater, on Flickr

Thanks in advance.

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Blenny. The lighting makes the ID sketchy.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 kmo_underwater

kmo_underwater

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Marli. Yeah the shadow on the face is a bit of a bummer for ID purposes. I have a few other angles showing the profile, but unfortunately not as sharp.

I would appreciate species though if anyone is able to ID with the remainder of the photo.

#4 kmo_underwater

kmo_underwater

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

After a fair bit of searching around, the best I can come up with is False Tasmanian Blenny, Parablennius postoculomaculatus. Colours don't quite fit, but markings, size and distribution do.

#5 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

After a fair bit of searching around, the best I can come up with is False Tasmanian Blenny, Parablennius postoculomaculatus. Colours don't quite fit, but markings, size and distribution do.

Cameron,

It is a Horned Blenny aka False Tasmanian Blenny - http://australianmus...us-intermedius/ - found all around Perth down through Cockburn Sound - Ammo Jetty, Grain Terminal etc - and down south to the east coast.

Karl
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#6 kmo_underwater

kmo_underwater

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi Karl

Thanks very much, I appreciate the local knowlege and experience. Interesting that both p.postoculomaculatus and p.intermedius are listed as subspecies of p.tasmanianus on fishwise.

Edited by kmo_underwater, 01 March 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#7 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Hi Karl

Thanks very much, I appreciate the local knowlege and experience. Interesting that both p.postoculomaculatus and p.intermedius are listed as subspecies of p.tasmanianus on fishwise.

Yeah and on the Australian Museum website they don't even have it here in WA along with the Brown Sabretooth Blenny - will have to send them some photos I think.

Karl
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!