5 replies to this topic

#1 sevans0579

sevans0579

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

Hi all
I have just purchased the iMac 27inch 3,1 i5 and wanted to increase the ram myself because apple's fees are crazy. Therefore would I benefit a great deal more with 16gb or would 12gb be suffice for photo editing (Lightroom) and video editing (final cut pro) basically trying to way the costs against the benefits?
Also whilst on the subject of editing, does final cut pro recognise sony's AVCHD format?
Thanks for your time

#2 uw_nikon

uw_nikon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

Other world computing has good memory.
http://eshop.macsale...11/DDR3_21.5_27
Chris Simmons
UW photo methods

#3 sevans0579

sevans0579

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Other world computing has good memory.
http://eshop.macsale...11/DDR3_21.5_27

Thanks for the link, they do a good price although when shipping and tax is added in the UK it's not so attractive!

#4 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1768 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hey Sean,

The more RAM the better!

If you can afford 16gb, get it.

FCP struggles with AVCHD, many people use a conversion utility called Clipwrap. This does a great job of sorting AVCHD files into a format that FCP X is happy working with. Steve Douglas did a review of the app here on Wetpixel, and if you search for Clipwrap, there has been loads of discussion about it on the forums too.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#5 sevans0579

sevans0579

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hey Sean,

The more RAM the better!

If you can afford 16gb, get it.

FCP struggles with AVCHD, many people use a conversion utility called Clipwrap. This does a great job of sorting AVCHD files into a format that FCP X is happy working with. Steve Douglas did a review of the app here on Wetpixel, and if you search for Clipwrap, there has been loads of discussion about it on the forums too.

Adam

Spot on cheers Adam!

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Apple makes excellent ram but, yes, it is costly. Otherworld computing has a good reputation as well. I also recommend ram from Crucial as I have been using their ram for many years without a single issue. Another company I would recommend is Ramjet.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.