Photo
- - - - -

Nikon 60mm AF-S - compatible with NX Standard Flat Port?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bardo

Bardo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Anyone know if the Nikon 60mm AF-S is compatible with the Sea&Sea Standard NX flat port (ie. the port with the rubber bumper front?). The S&S port table claims that you need to buy the compact macro port base (56201) + compact macro port S (56211) but from what I can see, there's no reason why the AF-S wouldn't happily work behind the NX Standard flat port (56101) - anyone tried it?

Edited by Bardo, 01 March 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#2 DonaldD

DonaldD

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yes, but you may need to get rid of the little divot inside the port. Maybe someone from Reef Photo could chime in, but by carefully removing the inside divot, it allows me to us my 105 AFS with an extension ring, my 60 AF, and my 60 AFS.

The guys at Reef Photo were real helpful in explaining this to me when I first got into having a housing.

#3 Bardo

Bardo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

Yes, but you may need to get rid of the little divot inside the port. Maybe someone from Reef Photo could chime in, but by carefully removing the inside divot, it allows me to us my 105 AFS with an extension ring, my 60 AF, and my 60 AFS.

The guys at Reef Photo were real helpful in explaining this to me when I first got into having a housing.

Thanks for the reply, Donald - out of interest, what extension ring are you using to allow you to use the 105mm with the standard NX port?

Edited by Bardo, 07 March 2012 - 05:17 AM.

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

The old NX Standard Flat port is actually a bit long for AF-S 60mm, so you'll have just under 2cm of dead space in the front of the port. Works fine, you just might not be able to get quite to 1:1.

Sea & Sea SX Extension ring allows Std Flat Port to work with AF-S 105 VR.

The plastic nub does not have to be removed for AF-S 60, but does need to be removed for 105 VR.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#5 Bardo

Bardo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

The old NX Standard Flat port is actually a bit long for AF-S 60mm, so you'll have just under 2cm of dead space in the front of the port. Works fine, you just might not be able to get quite to 1:1.

Sea & Sea SX Extension ring allows Std Flat Port to work with AF-S 105 VR.

The plastic nub does not have to be removed for AF-S 60, but does need to be removed for 105 VR.

Cheers Ryan - which ring is required for the 105VR? Sea&Sea seem to make a few of them.

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

You're welcome!

#50261, SX Extension Ring

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#7 Bardo

Bardo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

You're welcome!

#50261, SX Extension Ring

Thanks again, Ryan! Looks like I'll be investing in an SX Extension ring very shortly (plus a dremmel tool to remove the 'nub') :-)

#8 DonaldD

DonaldD

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the correction Ryan on the nub removal.

Hope to visit you all this summer when I finally get to dive in FL.