Canon 5D Mk III Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

<br />All that sounds good, but it means a change from using stobes to continous lighting. There are some distinct draw back to that.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Yea, we are a ways off from video stills being as good as dslr stills. And the lighting and such won't be as good.

#42 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Looking at how close it is on the Aquatica - there is probably a pretty good chance on a less "fitted" housing, such as the Ikelite?

Although in January I tried the Nikon D800 in both Subal and Ikelite housings and it wouldn't quite fit in either.

Alex

If anyone has access to the new mkiii, and a ikelite mkii housing. I would be very interested to see if that could work.

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#43 Segerdahl

Segerdahl

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Regarding new back plates for old housings.
The idea is great but in reality it's often a bad deal. I have switched cameras way too often. Once I bought a back plate instead of a new housing. It was much cheaper than buying a new housing and it felt like a good deal. Problem is that when I changed camera again, it was impossible to sell the backplate. I could easily sell the complete housing (with either the new or the old backplate), but selling just the back plate turned out to be impossible (anyone looking for a D300s backplate for Ikelite D300 or D300s uw-housing?).

So, I recommend to instead sell the old housing and buy a new one. I would have saved money doing that.

Edited by Segerdahl, 15 March 2012 - 11:56 PM.

Nikon D7000, Ikelite housing and strobes, SOLA 1200 video lights.

#44 in_minsk_we_trust

in_minsk_we_trust

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

There will be tons of these tests flooding the web next week, and I'm sure many of you are already sick to death of the 5Diii, but this one over at EOSHD gets me real excited.

I'm a video shooter who's giving up a big gates housing because I can't travel with it anymore. Just too much for me. Mostly I shoot technical stuff and the low iso on the iii is looking pretty good for my apps. It's gonna be a learning curve to transition to the small housing but I'm excited by what I'm seeing.

Chris

#45 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'll try post some stuff later in the week. Nothing to scream about but it's the DR and ISO3200+ noise difference that's most noticeable, compared to the 5D2. I'll probably use it for topside and keep the 5D2 for uw until the housings start coming out. Not going to get much money for the 5D2 housing/camera combo anyways.
All-I in 90mb/s(!) is a bit higher in resolution but not very significantly so, but better moiré and aliasing control.

I don't think there's much of a difference between the 1Dx/5D3/D4/D3s in terms of noise now... probably in the 1/3 stop range. The 61 pt AF system tracks better and acquires subjects with a bit more spirit. But for normal shooting, it's not much difference. Haven't tried low light scenes yet, maybe that's where the difference will lie.
It's an upgrade and an incremental one (albeit very impressive). That's what Canon usually does anyhow. It's not a game-changer for DSLR like the 5D2 was, since 1080p video is everywhere and the incremental improvements aren't as impressive as Nikon's huge jump from near zero to hero.

** Dammit, dead pixel! Have to send it back!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#46 Daanivd

Daanivd

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

Has anyone looked yet how it would fit in a 7D housing? The 5D mkiii design seems to have a lot more in common with the 7D in terms of button placements than the 5D mkii.

#47 numba9

numba9

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Dag:

Just got the body and tried dropping into my 5DM2 Subal with almost the same result. Close but just not quite. I'm guessing in the range of just a few mil off, but in several areas.

Talked to Subal last week and they were still waiting to get in the Mk3 and couldn't comment on adaptability yet.

I would think that based on what I'm seeing it will be more than a new tray and back.

#48 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hands on preview

http://www.dpreview....nonEOS5DMarkIII

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#49 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:All forms of nature photography. Dive medicine. The ocean.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

5D III vs D800 could be simple decision. Look into your lens bag what's compatible :lol: I wouldn't switch my lenses based on one camera generation for average pros and cons. As long as there is nothing substantial missing ...

I looked in the lens bag and it was all Canon. So the 5dmk3 is in the mail, along with the kit lens and some other random glass that seemed like it would look nice on the front of the new camera.

So Jolly...about that eTTL we were discussing...

:)

Rob Whitehead

Shooting with Phase One and Canon. EWA-Marine Factory Test Pilot.

www.pilbaraphoto.com

#50 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

I think both Nikon and Canon boys can be happy with their new toys. The D800 and 5DMkIII are both insane cameras!
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.