• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tc_rain

tc_rain

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Has anyone had problems with the TSA and their carry-on camera rig? I have a couple 12" aluminum strobe arms and a large aluminum tray for my rig. I was just wondering if I should put the tray and arms in my checked gear.

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

I travel once a year from Europe over Newark to Costa Rica and carry always my rig.
It get every time opened and controlled but i had never issues with missing or damaged gear.
You only have to use a TSA approved lock or leave the luggage open, otherwise they will break the lock or the luggage!!!
Chris
P.S. I would NOT put the strobe arms in the carry-on, most probably they will create panic under the scanner guys and gals,
i had already once problems with a flexarm....

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

I carry pretty much everything I need to survive a dive trip in my roller carryon. Two Ike strobes, four 8" arms, cords, clamps, housing, camera, two ports, two lenses, mask, swimsuit and dive computer. They always want to look at it, but never hassle me. Be nice to them and smile and they will be nice to you :swimmingfish:

John

Edited by johnspierce, 03 March 2012 - 11:16 AM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#4 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I carry my complete setup in a roll-on as a carry-on and have never (knock on wood) had a hassle regarding my arms. I use 4 x 9" Stix arms with large floats. The only hassles I have had is with my allen wrenches. I was not allowed to carry them on board at Cayman Brac, had to check them in. At times I have had to remove my housing and have it pass through the x-ray separately and other times all my camera items were removed and looked over. I have traveled through South America, the Caribbean, Asia, the Indo-Pacific and Australia to dive. In Australia I got hassled big time for the weight, they disassemble everything, ports, lens from camera bodies and will never travel there again. I am sure the weight will also be a problem traveling through Europe.

Elmer

Edited by eyu, 04 March 2012 - 04:52 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Don't carry on anything that could be construed to be a weapon or a tool for dismantling the aircraft. This included (in my case) some small cable ties that I used to seal my bags. They said I might try to join a lot together and disable the crew. Just roll over and go with the flow - although I did have to reprimand a guy in Guam who kept calling me by my Christian name. I said, "It's Mister Bantin to you, son." He responded to the talk from an officer (me).

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#6 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

I think it's best to carry the necessities (like John P. said) in your carry-on, but put your tools in your checked bag. Never had a problem with any camera Eqip., but on a Cayman return flight they made me check one 1/2" Craftsman wrench...pretty sure they he just wanted to add another tool to his collection!
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#7 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

No problems with any of the camera stuff carry-on, incl. arms, strobes, etc, just no tools.
The cable ties are a new one to me. Next, we'll have to check in our shoelaces, and wait until they realise a person can be strangled with a bra.
Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#8 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Yes, I agree with the "no tools" thing. Allen wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers go in my checked bags. If they lose the checked stuff, there's always tools on pretty much any dive boat I've been on. Very rusty ones of course :swimmingfish:

John

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#9 Puffer Fish

Puffer Fish

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

I carry everything (except tools) in my carry-on...and in the last year, it has gotten much easier. I used to get a major remove everything from the bag check, and my last two times (Bonaire and Bora Bora) the bag did not even get any extra checking. They don't seem to care about arms anymore.

#10 tc_rain

tc_rain

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks. I just didn't want to be standing at the security check point and see my strobe arms confiscated. That would really be a bad way to start off a trip.

#11 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

... cable ties...

Strange, how cable ties are bad, but an 18" metal rod with a solid ball on the end is OK...

... but I've never had arm troubles, although I've had cable ties confiscated (and dive gear stolen despite TSA locks being both in place, and replaced).

Tim

:swimmingfish:

#12 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Strange, how cable ties are bad, but an 18" metal rod with a solid ball on the end is OK...

... but I've never had arm troubles, although I've had cable ties confiscated (and dive gear stolen despite TSA locks being both in place, and replaced).

Tim

:swimmingfish:

I put those in my checked-in bag/s.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#13 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think it's best to carry the necessities (like John P. said) in your carry-on, but put your tools in your checked bag. Never had a problem with any camera Eqip., but on a Cayman return flight they made me check one 1/2" Craftsman wrench...pretty sure they he just wanted to add another tool to his collection!

Funny, I had to give up a 12mm Craftsman on my way back from Cayman too. Must have been the same guy building his set :)
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#14 Relax31

Relax31

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Funny, I had to give up a 12mm Craftsman on my way back from Cayman too. Must have been the same guy building his set :lol:

Me three

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Carry on carries, cam, housing, lights, batteries, chargers and everything related to shooting. Dive gear is checked. Never a problem....so far.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#16 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Just got back from Indonesia. The wife and I traveled on several airlines including 3 of the local ones and were able to carry all our camera gear on each flight. On the smaller planes they took the carry-on as we boarded and gave it back as we exited the plane. At no time was the carry-on luggage weighed.
My wife did accidentally put the tools (a 12mm titanium wrench that I would really dread loosing and the allen wrenches that came with the Nauticam) in her carry on when packing everything back up on the Arenui. We had no problem with the Indonesia flights (Sorong to Bali) nor did anyone say anything when we flew Singapore Air from Bali to Singapore but... when we were getting ready to board in Singapore they did say something and I thought we were going to lose the tools. Lucky for us as it turns out they let us go and said to not take them out of our bag at anytime until we got home. Whhhhewww.

Edited by focker, 26 April 2012 - 08:00 PM.

Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#17 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

I had allen keys removed from my checked luggage .. there are not hard and fast rules .. they do what they want plain and simple.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks