• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

I have a new system and can't figure something out: I have a 7D in a Nauticam housing with a S&S YS-110a Strobe. I'm using a FO sync Chord. In low light situations, when the built-in flash is up, the 7D fires a test flash to aid with auto focus. It seems that, as expected, this test flash causes the S&S strobe to test flash as well. If I compose, focus, and fire immediately after focus is acheived, the S&S strobe won't fire. Perhaps, since it has just done a test flash it needs a second or so to recycle (but I don't hear any recycle buzz). The built-in camera flash does not need this recycle time and always fires if I shoot immediately after focusing. I found that if I compose, focus, and wait about 2 seconds before pushing the shutter, the S&S fires every time. Another very odd thing is that the indicator light of the S&S strobe turns green after I shoot even when it does not fire. Meaning, when I shoot immediately after focusing, the strobe does not fire, but the indiator light turns green anyway!

I was hoping I could disable the test flash in the 7D, but it doesn't seem that I can. I'm missing shots because of this. Also, if I'm shooting a very timid critter or one that moves around, holding the focus for 2 seconds before I shoot will be an issue. Does anyone else experience this? Is this a strobe malfunction? Any suggestions on how to work around it? Thanks.

Edited by JohnnyQuest, 04 March 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#2 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

You can disable this, and should. It is in the custom functions menu, C.fn III - 11 on the 7D... set this to "disable".

Cheers,
Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#3 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

You can disable this, and should. It is in the custom functions menu, C.fn III - 11 on the 7D... set this to "disable".

Cheers,
Cp

Fantastic! Thank you!