1 reply to this topic

#1 Xanderwater

Xanderwater

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I live close to the Swan River in Perth that has a lot of jellyfish, and I photograph them a lot :)
A year ago I thought of doing an over-under shot with jellyfish, and fireworks. I had my first try at Australia day some months ago but I was not happy with the shots. Mainly lighting the jellyfish nicely in the murky water of the river and using the correct shutter speed for the fireworks was a problem. Yesterday there was a fireworks display close to the river for a community thing and I gave it another go. It was a much smaller scale fireworks show, but I found the perfect place in the river to take photos and try. Although I probably looked like a freak laying in the water on my own to all the public.

I had to find a jellyfish and keep track of it before the show started and I did some experimenting with different lighting techniques to light the jellyfish but as little particles as possible. I ended using indirect lighting; straight down to the sandy bottom, so the light on the jellyfish is all reflected from the sand.

I still feel the urge to try again next time though...

Cheers, Xander

IMG_2455s.jpg

This second one is taken with dome 30cm. underwater, with fireworks through Snell's window. And also you can see my camera and the jellyfish reflected on the surface.

IMG_2476WEB.jpg

Edited by Xanderwater, 04 March 2012 - 05:18 PM.

flickr.com/xanderwater

#2 Xanderwater

Xanderwater

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Two more:

Posted Image
Swan River, Western Australia by Xander Rood, on Flickr

Posted Image
Shadow or reflection? by Xander Rood, on Flickr