• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

My thoughts on dive watch/instrumentation/computers has changed as I have become more experienced in hyperbaric medicine. Having been on two recent trips where one diver had some signs and symptoms of decompression sickness (DCS) that required a visit to the hyperbaric oxygen chamber and another diver who had DCS or an arterial gas embolus (AGE) that required 14+ chamber treatments and an air med evacuation to Duke. Both of these two divers were experienced with well over 1500 dives between them.

Dive tables with repetitive dives are not as accurate as a dive computer, so if your computer fails and you go to tables you are at a disadvantage.
A second computer that is the size of a wrist watch and also is a watch adds a further margin of safety.

Elmer

Thatt's what I do.

But after both computers and the backup batteries for them fail, then you are going to need your dive watch.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#22 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

A second computer that is the size of a wrist watch and also is a watch adds a further margin of safety.

Elmer

The smallest I see is a Citizen Aqualand Duplex, but the measurements vary by seller from 41-48mm. Awaiting reply from Citizen for confirmation.

The 20th anniversary addition states it's 48mm. Anyone compare them in person? Are they the same size?

I like the look of the Duplex JP10, but I guess the nature of the beast, is the size.

Just seems too big for a wrist watch.

Funny, there's a Chris Benz model at twice the price, but is listed at 41mm ... looks like a Citizen with a prettier face.

Ahhhh!
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name

#23 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

The Citizen Duplex and Eco anniversary are about the same size. They both are very similar to ATJ's pics size wise.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#24 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

The Citizen Duplex and Eco anniversary are about the same size. They both are very similar to ATJ's pics size wise.

Thanks Eyu.

Just heard back from Citizen.

The smallest currently available is the Duplex at 46mm. The 20th Anniversary Eco Drive is 52.5mm and a bit thicker with cooler bling.

I am probably going with a Titanium Duplex ... the next time a Timex floods.
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula

#25 Mamel

Mamel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

I love Citizen Titanium Aqualand Duplex ProMaster Diver w/ Titanium Bracelet; good size, light, have been using for 3 years, everyday use.

#26 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I was looking on the Citzen official website and didn't see the duplex listed as a current model.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#27 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

Here's a pic of the duplex and anniversary together. Did not realize the difference in size in the pic, but on my wrist it is not a noticeable difference.

Attached Images

• watch.JPG

Edited by eyu, 15 March 2012 - 05:56 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#28 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

I was looking on the Citzen official website and didn't see the duplex listed as a current model.

Dave, the duplex has been discontinued, but is still available from retailers. You can download .pdf's on the Net

Here's a pic of the duplex and anniversary together. Did not realize the difference in size in the pic, but on my wrist it is not a noticeable difference.

Perfect. Thanks for everyone that took the time to respond and post pics.

It's all good. This is what I was looking for.
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula

#29 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

I"m 6'2", 235# (if I exhale thoroughly before weighing :D) but think I have pretty small wrists. I have the 20 yr anniversary asymmetric pictured above but with the eyepopping orange rubber strap.

It is noticably bigger than the Hyper aqualand I used to have - both in diameter and thickness - and feels heavier too. But I still love it. It's my daily watch.

Never had a problem with the ECO-drive running low on power. They do some smart things like turn off the second hand completely when the watch is in full dark. (Put it face down on a desk and come back later and flip it over quickly and you'll see the second hand racing to the right position.) But I've only had mine a year or so.

They Hyper got stolen after about 5 years of ownership, during which it had one battery change.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#30 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

I just received the Citizen Aqualand titanium duplex with the rubber wrist band. The watch is just a bit larger than a Timex 200m watch. Sensor sticks out about 2mm wider, the buttons perhaps 1mm, and the thickness is about 1.5mm thicker than the Timex.

Love it. I am currently awaiting a crystal protector and will be looking for a replacement watch band. The OEM is just a bit too large.

I am looking at the Nato type bands. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula

#31 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

This week I was diving simultaneously with a Suunto D6i, a Suunto D9, a Scubapro Meridian and an Oceanic Veo3 (Pelagic Z+). Was that enough? I didn't need a watch!

Edited by John Bantin, 25 March 2012 - 12:56 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#32 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

This week I was diving simultaneously with a Suunto D6i, a Suunto D9, a Scubapro Meridian and an Oceanic Veo3 (Pelagic Z+). Was that enough? I didn't need a watch!

Hmmm, John, I think you may just have this covered! ;^)
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula