17 replies to this topic

#1 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

Hi,
I already hijacked the Sola 4000 thread asking informations on these tinyer version so I prefer to start a new one.

I received a couple of them a week ago. Given that my housing is still on the way I thought to use them as hand held lights on a cave dive.
Before the dive I charged and I made a first burn test. I immediately noticed a huge battery life difference between the two lights. So I completely discharged (at half power) and recharged them four times. So Now I should get real data on battery life.

One light lasts exactly 50 minutes (exactly the declared battery life) the other one lasts nearly 70 minutes! While I'm happy with the last one I'm disappointed on the first one: If a brand new battery last exactly 50 minutes I guess that with use, the battery life will shortly decrease under the declared life... In short I cannot return the light because it falls just within the specs!

While I was recharging the good one I suddendly noticed a strange rumor from the inside. Gently shaking the light I could hear a sound indicating that there is something broken free to move inside, something like a "maracas. Obviously the light never took hits or felt on the floor neither went in water because I tested them only in my kitchen sink. Moreover it's like this object get jammed somewhere inside the light so the sound it's not happening all the times...

I returned the light at the shop. they opened the light discovering that there is an ultra small electronic component hanging around which detached itself from the small electronic board inside. It's clear that this component should have been soldered and it's very unlike that a hit could have caused the detachment.
So they sent back the light to the Italian importer and give me back a brand new light. Nothing could be made for the other light.

I still have to express a judgement on this product except that a better checking and test process before leaving the factory would be advisable. They proudly write on the light case "assembled in USA". Maybe at Foxconn they do a better job? :)

Bye
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#2 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

'One light lasts exactly 50 minutes (exactly the declared battery life) the other one lasts nearly 70 minutes! While I'm happy with the last one I'm disappointed on the first one: If a brand new battery last exactly 50 minutes I guess that with use, the battery life will shortly decrease under the declared life... In short I cannot return the light because it falls just within the specs!'

So are you saying that you are not happy because the light lasts for exactly the advertised time? Seems a bit odd to me considering you bought the lights knowing exactly what the specs are & now when you get them you are not happy with that????
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:10 AM

So are you saying that you are not happy because the light lasts for exactly the advertised time? Seems a bit odd to me considering you bought the lights knowing exactly what the specs are & now when you get them you are not happy with that????

Hi Pete,

don't misunderstand me, I'm just saying that if a brand new battery just last exactly 50 minutes, that is the target burn time, within a short use period it will last less. I use a lot of dive lights and scooters for cave diving so burn time it's a must. This is one of the few times I see a battery durinng exactly the time the producer declare. At the same time it's strange seeing another light lasting 70 minutes.
Probably in a few dozen dives it will last 45 or 40 minutes. That's it.

For the other light no excuse
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#4 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

don't misunderstand me, I'm just saying that if a brand new battery just last exactly 50 minutes, that is the target burn time, within a short use period it will last less.

I've usually found that, with the newer technology batteries, over the first few cycles, the battery life gets a bit longer, then it settles at that burn duration for somewhere between 50 to 150 cycles before it starts reducing.

With my 4000s, I run them on power setting 1 for navigation then bump them up to mid or high power depending on the needs of the shot. Lasts plenty of time.

Regards
Peter

#5 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

I've usually found that, with the newer technology batteries, over the first few cycles, the battery life gets a bit longer, then it settles at that burn duration for somewhere between 50 to 150 cycles before it starts reducing.

Ok, I will see how it will gets.
In the meantime I received a brand new light as replacement for the broken one.

Bye

Edited by M43user, 08 March 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#6 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I recently took delivery of a couple of Sola 2000 lights and gave them their first workout over the Easter long weekend at the local shore dives in Nelson Bay.
Overall I'm very happy with them - they are quite an improvement on the Inon 500 lumen lights I was using.
Here is a clip their first outing.

EDIT Fixed it up for you. Wagsy
My Video: Canon HF G10, Bluefin Pro housing, Fathom 90 WA/Flat Port, 2 x Sola 2000 Lights
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/swinkworth

#7 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

It looks like I screwed up tyring to embed the video
here is the link

My Video: Canon HF G10, Bluefin Pro housing, Fathom 90 WA/Flat Port, 2 x Sola 2000 Lights

#8 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Nice footage Steve. The colours are great also.
Nelson bay is such good diving.
Looking forward to some more videos mate.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

#9 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Nice footage Steve. The colours are great also.
Nelson bay is such good diving.
Looking forward to some more videos mate.
Cheers Pete.

Pete
It was good to see you at pipeline - hope to meet again some time
Cheers
Steve

#10 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

Definately was good to meet you Steve.
Do you live up that way? I try to get up there as much as possible but it is never often enough.
I have just edited another video so will have that up either tonight or tomorrow.
By the way, what camera do you use?
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

#11 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

I recently took delivery of a couple of Sola 2000 lights and gave them their first workout over the Easter long weekend at the local shore dives in Nelson Bay.
Overall I'm very happy with them - they are quite an improvement on the Inon 500 lumen lights I was using.
Here is a clip their first outing.

EDIT Fixed it up for you. Wagsy

Awesome clip Steve! What Cam/housing are you using??

Greg

Edited by sideways, 24 April 2012 - 05:54 PM.

Similan Islands....
http://www.flickr.co...804385191/show/

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

Canon HF S30, L&M Housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

#12 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Awesome clip Steve! What Cam/housing are you using??

Greg

Greg
It's a canon HF G10 in a Bluefin Pro Housing.
Cheers
Steve

#13 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Greg
It's a canon HF G10 in a Bluefin Pro Housing.
Cheers
Steve

Im looking at buying the Canon HF S30 w/ Bluefin housing. That gives me a perfect example of the cams capabilities. Thanks Steve!!

Greg
Similan Islands....

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

#14 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Im looking at buying the Canon HF S30 w/ Bluefin housing. That gives me a perfect example of the cams capabilities. Thanks Steve!!

Greg

Hey Greg

I have Eric Cheng's Bluefin here. He left it on his way back from Indo trip. Its for Canon S30 and G10. Try and PM Eric as I think he wants to sell it. Comes with a handle which I have made and some XIT 404 stuff.

Cheers

David

Sorry Ed. if this need to go to the classify then let me know...cheers

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#15 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

I really enjoyed that video Steve. Looks like a very interesting place to dive.

#16 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Hey Greg

I have Eric Cheng's Bluefin here. He left it on his way back from Indo trip. Its for Canon S30 and G10. Try and PM Eric as I think he wants to sell it. Comes with a handle which I have made and some XIT 404 stuff.

Cheers

David

Sorry Ed. if this need to go to the classify then let me know...cheers

Thanks David! I sent Eric a PM :) To the OP, sorry for the threadjacking :)
Similan Islands....

#17 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Definately was good to meet you Steve.
Do you live up that way? I try to get up there as much as possible but it is never often enough.
I have just edited another video so will have that up either tonight or tomorrow.
By the way, what camera do you use?
Cheers Pete.

Pete
I live at maitland so I am at Nelson Bay most weekends.
I'll keep an eye out for you.
Cheers Steve

#18 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

I may be moving up to the central coast soon so i could be a regular visitor up that way.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user