4 replies to this topic

#1 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hi dear all,
I am heading to Mozambique Inhambane next month April, diving at Pomene for 5 days, then travel to Tofo and diving for another 7 days.
While at Pomene, we will dive with Dive Paradise Promene, and while at Tofo, we will dive with Peri Peri divers.
Is there anyone been to both places ? Any advice about the dive centre, dive site and pass me some update ?
Many many thanks in advance !!

Regards
Edmond Chan

#2 jim21

jim21

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hi Edmond,

I have done a lot of diving in those areas, but not with the dive centers you mention.
Both areas are fantastic for fish, especially big stuff.
Tofo is of course whalesharks and mantas with usually plenty of both.
There is hardly any coral growth and you dive on fossilised sand dunes.
The visibility is often very poor as it is the plankton that attracts the big stuff.
Periods of strong on shore wind can bring crystal clear water, but the whalesharks can disappear at these times as there is no food for them.
The sea is often very rough and you dive with exciting surf launches by RIB and negative entries at many sites.
The area is rather remote but with quite a few dive centers so you often have other dive boats on a site like manta reef.

Pomene is extremely remote with no worries about meeting other divers under water.
The water is warmer and clearer with more coral and easy esturary boat launches.
Plenty of big fish especially sharks and rays. Mantas and devil rays are often seen at some sites. Whalesharks can be seen with luck.
Diving in the upper part of the estuary is great for seahorses (up to 20 on a dive!) frogfish, seahares and small stuff.

Have fun.

Hi dear all,
I am heading to Mozambique Inhambane next month April, diving at Pomene for 5 days, then travel to Tofo and diving for another 7 days.
While at Pomene, we will dive with Dive Paradise Promene, and while at Tofo, we will dive with Peri Peri divers.
Is there anyone been to both places ? Any advice about the dive centre, dive site and pass me some update ?
Many many thanks in advance !!

Regards
Edmond Chan

#3 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hi Jim
Thank you very much for your valuable update.

Best regards
Edmond

#4 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

I was diving around Tofo in mid Jan. It was my first time in Mozambique, I didn't realise just how remote the area was. I stayed at palm grove lodge. It was a good job I was travelling with some South African friends who had transport as there is no way to get around. Take lots of mosquito repellant, especially if you are prone to bites. I took malarone as well.
Diving wise. Vis was about 5-10m. Had whale sharks everyday (5 days) usually more than one. No sharks no mantas or rays of any kind. We were told the shark finning is out of control and the fisherman have depleted pretty much all of the shark population. Apparently their after mantas now for their gills.

#5 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hi ,
We have finished our 6 days at Pomene, 6 days at Tofo beach.
We don't need very much mosquito repellent,luckily, the places were all clean and tidy.
Pomene and Tofo is just awesome,very safe, nice place , nice people.The dive shop has their own doctor and nurse on duty for the divers, as part of law regulation.
Underwater, the fishes are abundant and bigger in size when compare to tropical region.But we don't encounter mantas,sharks in big number.
From latest aerial report, they are all in big number up north of Mozambique.
It is indeed a very nice place to go again, particular Pomene, so pristine, but with very unpredictable open water condition.
You might consider a longer period to stay as to compromise your diving day-off time, even the sky is so clear and blue...doesn't mean the ocean is calm.
The resort we stay at Pomene is going to have their first liveaboard next month, wish I can return later to have a more extensive expedition of the northern Mozambique.
I can only post a bit of underwater clip as I need to reserve 99.99% to our documentary in Hong Kong regarding overfishing.
Thanks for your information upon my request and hope you all can explore Mozambique later.
Cheers
Edmond