• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RossNortier

RossNortier

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

Hello there, my names Ross and i am a surf photographer and i have had a housing shell for my camera built out of 2mm aluminum sheet metal, i will be triggering my cameras shutter with a remote shutter cable inside a Pistol grip, however, i cant come up with any ideas on how to push the button on the remote which is fixed in position inside the pistol grip which is a 40mm diameter aluminum pole, sealed on the bottom... i was thinking of using an Ikelite control gland and using the ikelite control shaft to push the button on the remote but if i use this, i would need to find a way to spring load the shaft to push it back out after i push it in... Does any body have any ideas??? ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME!!

#2 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Hello there, my names Ross and i am a surf photographer and i have had a housing shell for my camera built out of 2mm aluminum sheet metal, i will be triggering my cameras shutter with a remote shutter cable inside a Pistol grip, however, i cant come up with any ideas on how to push the button on the remote which is fixed in position inside the pistol grip which is a 40mm diameter aluminum pole, sealed on the bottom... i was thinking of using an Ikelite control gland and using the ikelite control shaft to push the button on the remote but if i use this, i would need to find a way to spring load the shaft to push it back out after i push it in... Does any body have any ideas??? ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME!!

Hello Ross,

Here is an idea for you. Make your pistol grip out of acrylic, then embed a magnetic reed switch inside the acrylic. A sliding thumb-activated button with a magnet inside would close your switch when you slide the magnet over the reed switch.

I have used this setup on home made strobes and it works perfectly.

There are magnetic reed switches that are normally closed or normally open; you would choose the right one for your application.

Good luck,
Barry

www.bareports.com
www.keywordworkflow.com

#3 RossNortier

RossNortier

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hello Ross,

Here is an idea for you. Make your pistol grip out of acrylic, then embed a magnetic reed switch inside the acrylic. A sliding thumb-activated button with a magnet inside would close your switch when you slide the magnet over the reed switch.

I have used this setup on home made strobes and it works perfectly.

There are magnetic reed switches that are normally closed or normally open; you would choose the right one for your application.

Good luck,
Barry

www.bareports.com
www.keywordworkflow.com

Hello Barry,
Thanks for the reply! this sounds like a good idea! however, the pistol grip is detachable from the housing so i can attach a Pole grip, to get a much higher angle while shooting surfing and to make a long pole grip out of acrylic could prove fatal to my camera, also, could this switch work in 3 stages? Neutral> autofocus> sutter release...

thanks!

Ross.