• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rzxrey

rzxrey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Hi everyone. I am just starting out in UWP and have a d70s in an Ikelite with 1 DS160 and a 16-35 VR lens.. Is this a good starting setup? Are there any draw backs or cons to this setup? What do you think of the 16-35 VR as an underwater lens? Do I need more light or is one enough? I want to shoot regular fish in reefs and maybe some bikini dive models-- what are your thoughts? I have a d300 too but cant afford the housing unless I sell parts of the d70s rig. Can anybody share their UWP experience with the d70s? Also--what are your thoughts on a strobless setup?
Thanks,Rey

Edited by rzxrey, 17 March 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#2 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Sure, it's a great way to start. I have both the D70 and D300 and used both for many years. The D300 is way nicer to use, but the photos are going to be nearly identical. Quality is excellent on both, and you can save a bundle on a used housing. Just be sure to service an old housing before using it.

You really need a strobe. DS160 or a used DS125 are great options. Strobeless is going to be useful for only very limited purposes. If you can't put a strobe on your camera then you won't get much out of your SLR rig.

Hi everyone. I am just starting out in UWP and have a d70s in an Ikelite with 1 DS160 and a 16-35 VR lens.. Is this a good starting setup? Are there any draw backs or cons to this setup? What do you think of the 16-35 VR as an underwater lens? Do I need more light or is one enough? I want to shoot regular fish in reefs and maybe some bikini dive models-- what are your thoughts? I have a d300 too but cant afford the housing unless I sell parts of the d70s rig. Can anybody share their UWP experience with the d70s? Also--what are your thoughts on a strobless setup?
Thanks,Rey

#3 expatdiver

expatdiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Golf, Darts, Brewing

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

That is basically the rig I started with years ago (and am still using). I only had one DS-125 for a while, and that does limit your lighting capabilities for some shots. So adding a second strobe might be the next step you want to make. I don't have any experience with the 16-35 but do have a 12-24. I would imagine with the 16-35 you would have to get fairly close for reef fish shots, but it should work well for models.

If you're shallow enough and far enough away from your subject, shooting strobeless should be fine. I've used my D70s without strobes for things like whalesharks, mantas, and dolphins with pretty good success.
Nikon D70s w/Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes, 10.5 & 105
expatdiver's Photo Galleries

#4 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

My wife is still using a D70 and getting nice shots -with a YS-110 . i would look at adding a 60mm macro as it is easier to use and gives nice results early on. but again depends where you are diving. same applies for the strobelss shots - if you have the right place and right subject you will get nice shots.... but as you have 1 strobe (DS160) i would keep it and start with the D70 and upgrade later..
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#5 rzxrey

rzxrey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

Thanks everyone. I did buy stuff used so I saved a lot as compared to buying new. I guess I'll save up for another strobe. Just wondering, can I use 2 different models? Like Ds160 + DS 50 or 125 or other brand?

#6 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Stick with Ikelite strobes to avoid a lot of unwanted complexity. 160+125 or 50 should be fine. Ike docs will explain this config, which will work fine.

Thanks everyone. I did buy stuff used so I saved a lot as compared to buying new. I guess I'll save up for another strobe. Just wondering, can I use 2 different models? Like Ds160 + DS 50 or 125 or other brand?

#7 Coralpete

Coralpete

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Stick with Ikelite strobes to avoid a lot of unwanted complexity. 160+125 or 50 should be fine. Ike docs will explain this config, which will work fine.

Hi Rey - I have almost the same setup as you. D70 + Ikelite + DS160 & Sigma Lense 10-35 mm. I have used this configuration recently in Egypt with and 60 mm Nikon. Makes really good pictures. But I am going to change now as I am a little bit fed up of carrying my stuff around the world. You certainly need a seperate viewer. Which costs a lot of money but worth the investment

Peter

#8 rzxrey

rzxrey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Hi Rey - I have almost the same setup as you. D70 + Ikelite + DS160 & Sigma Lense 10-35 mm. I have used this configuration recently in Egypt with and 60 mm Nikon. Makes really good pictures. But I am going to change now as I am a little bit fed up of carrying my stuff around the world. You certainly need a seperate viewer. Which costs a lot of money but worth the investment

Peter

Hi pete,

By change, you mean switching to a P&S setup? Yes those viewfinders are really expensive. I'm still trying to find a great deal for them.