• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rzxrey

rzxrey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi everyone. Do you think I would gain an advantage if I buy 2 SB-105 strobes instead of 1 DS-160? I know that the 105 is manual only on an ikelite housing for a DSLR--I wouldn't mind manual flash. But is TTL really that much of an advantage underwater? Need your thoughts on this. Thanks

#2 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

obviously it depends on what you're plans are but most of the time 2 strobes are better than 1. the ikelite is a bit more powerful and will have better battery life. i only use manual flash UW - i don't see TTL being of much use at all. cheers,

chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#3 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

I prefer two strobes most of the time and use the SB 105. I am a bit envious pf those with TTL for macro but so many folks seem to have trouble with it.
The SB 105 is beautifully made and super reliable as you would expect from Nikon. No fancy heavy battery packs and dedicated chargers - just 4 AA's and a small standard charger. Published guide number (for what they are worth) is very similar to the DS160. They are no longer made but you can still pick brand-new ones on Ebay; you would get two with cash to spare compared with the DS160. There is no spotting light though and only restricted output options.
Having two strobes means you always have a spare. I use both of mine wired but if a cable ever plays up, switching the offending strobe to slave saves the day
Just my tenpenn'orth

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site