42 replies to this topic

#21 EXTREME

EXTREME

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:EXTREME SPORTS

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:55 AM

Hey Extreme, Hugyfot is also making a D4 housing so may want to check availability...:

http://www.hugyfot.com/info.html

They also sell adapters for your S&S ports:

http://www.hugyfot.c...s/Adapters.html

Thank you David for this info! Definitely this is not my choice :D
In this moment I have to wait....and what I really know is "I want to buy the best housing on the market for Nikon D4"! What it will be we will see :D The other thing I need to watch for compatibility with my equipment (Zen port, YS250pro flashes...etc).
P.S. I got some PP messages with offers for some other housings for some other cameras. Please don't send me any that kind of offers! I am really only looking forward for NIKON D4 UW housing :) As Alex already explained I am not doing just the regular UW photography! In any case thanks (below are samples what for I need Nikon D4).

Attached Images

• 0010.jpg
  • 0025.jpg
  • 5.jpg

Edited by EXTREME, 20 March 2012 - 05:01 AM.

Predrag Vuckovic
PROFESSIONAL SUBAL TEAM
www.extreme-photographer.com

#22 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

On my most recent workshop week Sea & Sea were the most popular housing brand (Subal the week before and Nauticam the week before that).
Alex

It is interesting to see what housings are popular. I know it depend on where you are. I do a tek trip once a year to the Florida Keys to do all the deep wrecks and I will see about 7-8 people with DSLRs and they are all Aquatica. When I do my "reef trips" down to Bonaire and Curacao, I see mainly P&S camera's, but in the last couple of years, I have seen more DLSRs, mainly being Aquatica and Ikelite. I'm headning to Bonaire next month and will be interested to see what people are using now. I think that if I did a underwater workshop, I would probably see DSLRs excusively and would see more of a variety of housings.

AS far as the Sea & Sea thing goes, I think that they really missed the boat by not having a housing for the Nikon D90. It seemed that once that camera came out, alot of people made the move from P&S to DSLRs. I know that with the cost of ports, domes, rning, etc., I don't see myself jumping ship to another housing brand.

#23 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

I am very jealous of your problem Predrag! :D
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#24 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

....and what I really know is "I want to buy the best housing on the market for Nikon D4"!

Then donīt worry about sea&sea not making a D4 housing! :D I guess you are only left with the "usual suspects" of Seacam, Subal, Aquatica or Nauticam...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#25 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

P.S. I got some PP messages with offers for some other housings for some other cameras. Please don't send me any that kind of offers!

Allow me to apologize on behalf of WP. We don't allow unsolicited sales pitches via PM from dealers/manufacturers! We will deal with such nonsense. Let us know if anyone else bothers you.

I assume you have the 9" Zen. That one doesn't have interchangeable port adapters, if I remember correctly?

Srećno with the housing hunt.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#26 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

I assume you have the 9" Zen. That one doesn't have interchangeable port adapters, if I remember correctly?

The o-ring sealing diameter of Zen DP-230 is exactly the same for both Sea & Sea and Nauticam. The port can be installed on a Nauticam housing only by changing the inexpensive plastic bayonet ring

Our service department will retrofit domes to other housing mounts by replacing the base plate. Different base plates are available for Subal Type 4 and Hugyfot, and will be available for Ikelite in a matter of days.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#27 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

same here. getting my D4 in few days, I hope. Subal has already confirmed to me that the new housing for D4 will be ready by around June this year. I am first in their order list.

Will sell my d3s and Subal housing after April.

and no, no interest in D 800, only D4 as upgrade of D3s.

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#28 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

I got a reply from Shuya Koda from S&S. They still make housings for DSLRs and will continue to do so.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#29 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

But not the D4?

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#30 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

That's 2 questions! :D I just asked him about the rumor.
If their own dealers don't jump out to deny this, I doubt I'd get any more info than their dealers no? :D

Drew

#31 EXTREME

EXTREME

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Allow me to apologize on behalf of WP. We don't allow unsolicited sales pitches via PM from dealers/manufacturers! We will deal with such nonsense. Let us know if anyone else bothers you.

Srećno with the housing hunt.

Drew...don't worry! Everything I sorted out with private messages :D Thank you so much for WP support :D
Srećno :)!

Concerning the D4 housing...I will wait for final announce from producers...I am looking forward for best choice! For some urgent shootings I will take from my friend S&S housing for my D3!

Edited by EXTREME, 21 March 2012 - 12:59 PM.

Predrag Vuckovic
PROFESSIONAL SUBAL TEAM

#32 EXTREME

EXTREME

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

This is picture of my ZEN mount for S&S. Is it possible to change it (I am thinking yes...but I don't know how look any other mount for some other housings)?
P.S. I didn't get still yet any answer from S&S company about my question about UW housing for D4!!!

Attached Images

• Zen.jpg

Predrag Vuckovic
PROFESSIONAL SUBAL TEAM

#33 EXTREME

EXTREME

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Finally I got answer on my e-mail from S&S:

Hello-
SEA&SEA is certainly still producing housings, however, the next new
housings are for the Nikon D800 and Canon 5DMKIII. There are no plans to
make a Nikon D4 housing, we are sorry.

Best Regards,
----
SEA&SEA U/W Imaging
Predrag Vuckovic
PROFESSIONAL SUBAL TEAM

#34 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Well so much for confidential information! :grr:

Drew

#35 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

This is picture of my ZEN mount for S&S. Is it possible to change it (I am thinking yes...but I don't know how look any other mount for some other housings)?
P.S. I didn't get still yet any answer from S&S company about my question about UW housing for D4!!!

This is educated guess work - I've not done any of this.

I think to change it from Sea & Sea to a Nauticam then you just undo the allen key bolts around the side and bolt on a Nauticam adaptor instead. There is probably a o-ring in there too.

To change to other mounts it probably requires a new backplate on the port. Which would be much cheaper than buying a new port. I am sure Ryan or someone from Reef Photo (who are the guys behind the Zen dome series) can confirm this is possible and give an indication on price.

The other option is to sell your existing port (quality domes tend to hold their value well) and buy a new one. I know that your dome is in perfect condition (I even have photos) - better than new. No tape anywhere! :-)

-----------

To get back to the main question - I think for the time being the best option is to wait. It is easy to identify the 3-5 housing companies that are doing D4 housings - that you would consider. And I am sure we'll start seeing housing designs very soon.

I don't see the D4 being hugely popular underwater (I see far more people using the D800, for many well documented reasons). It will be adopted by those who recognise and need its specific abilities. As a result - I don't think there will be big waiting lists on D4 housings, so there is time to see the options and then make a choice.

I have not seen any D4 (or D800) housing renderings yet. But I suspect that we'll see some housing designs on the front page of Wetpixel coming out very soon.

Alex

p.s. Good to read the clarification on Sea & Sea's position.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#36 EXTREME

EXTREME

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

First piece of SUBAL ND4...is in my hands Posted Image Also super professional SUBAL team fixed my ZEN port from Sea&Sea to SUBAL and now everything is ready for first dives...I can't wait Posted Image
P.S. This housing is on MUCH, MUCH higher level then all other housings!

Attached Images

• 2-SubalND4.jpg
  • 1-SubalND4.jpg

Edited by EXTREME, 15 August 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Predrag Vuckovic
PROFESSIONAL SUBAL TEAM

#37 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

So Subal have gone over to the dark side. Looking forward to seeing some spectacular D4 images!
Does this housing have any additional bulkheads besides the two that are visible for video out / tethering etc?

Edited by loftus, 16 August 2012 - 12:03 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#38 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

So Subal have gone over to the dark side.

I think they look better in black than in their typical grey...

Does this housing have any additional bulkheads besides the two that are visible for video out / tethering etc?

It must have many more since "This housing is on MUCH, MUCH higher level then all other housings!" Posted Image

Joking aside, it seems like it does on the bottom right hand side?
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#39 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

I think black is back too! That creamy beige gray color they had before did not do it for me

Jeff, if I remember correctly, there were 2 port holes on the left side too. But this was the prototype so the final could well be different.

Drew

#40 EXTREME

EXTREME

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

They are still yet in their grey color. This housing is custom made for me (that's reason why is black :) ).
Predrag Vuckovic
PROFESSIONAL SUBAL TEAM