Strobe arm - grip vs 45 degree mount

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

I am curious to know the pros and cons of how one mounts their arms to a tray. For instance, currently I have a grip one the left side of my tray to which a focus light is currently attached. On the right side I have a 45 degree mount that comes directly off the tray that has a 6" strobe arm connected to it (which is then connected to another arm and strobe). I am looking at getting a second strobe and was wondering about using a second grip rather than the 45 degree mount. The nice part about the 45 degree mount is that it moves the arm out a bit further which is nice when shooting with a single strobe. But with the grip on the right I can wedge my hand between the housing and grip when shooting which makes it a bit easier to hold the housing. So I am curious to what folks prefer and why. I know many of the DSLR housing do not use trays and the arms go directly onto the grips.