• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Wondering if people can let me know if my s2000 will be ok with a dslr?
What do people think? Trade it in for a stronger flash or get another to go with it?

#2 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Anyone help please?

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have two. I really like them for macro. They work for wide angle surprisingly well. The quality of light is inferior to other strobes for wide angle, but they do work.

s2000.jpg

I have been using them quite a bit recently for river photography where the small size is appreciated in shallow water and when walking to the river. Although the photo above is from more normal diving (macro in Canada).

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Many thanks for the feedback Alex, I was hoping someone would come back and verify these were ok, with travelling weights getting stricter and stricter I think I am going to go with these.

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1541 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Wondering if people can let me know if my s2000 will be ok with a dslr?
What do people think? Trade it in for a stronger flash or get another to go with it?

I too have two and use them for macro on a Nauticam/7D system. Can't beat the size and the output is great, if only the damn knobs were a teensy bit bigger; they are hard to adjust with dry gloves.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 Panda

Panda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Split levels, timelapse, temperate critters.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

As long as you can optically trigger from the camera flash while in the housing

anewton.net - UW blog - KAP blog
Victoria Australia. Nikon D7000, Lumix LX3. Ikelite. Inon. GoPro 2

#7 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

I recently tested 2x S2000s with a new DSLR setup - T2i/550D in an Aquatica. Any candid feedback about the actual lighting here by you experts (yes Doctor Mustard :D ) is appreciated in line with the OP's questions as Im just a novice with all this DSLR stuff and these are my first attempts after upgrading from a compact S90.

I cant comment on comparisons with Z240s for my setup as I have not used any before. However there's been some room in my carry-on for some Z240s, so I have just gone out and acquired a couple for the next trip. Im going to retain the S2000s for macro as they are adequate for those type of shots I reckon. (Ive attached a cople of macro photos with them).

Photos are not cropped.

Wide shot with Tokina 10-17, Macro with just a 60mm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Am I correct in thinking that for macro use them with the diffusers on and wide angles without them?

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

Am I correct in thinking that for macro use them with the diffusers on and wide angles without them?

No.

Diffusers definitely for wide angle and probably for macro. Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

I recently tested 2x S2000s with a new DSLR setup - T2i/550D in an Aquatica. Any candid feedback about the actual lighting here by you experts (yes Doctor Mustard :D ) is appreciated in line with the OP's questions as Im just a novice with all this DSLR stuff and these are my first attempts after upgrading from a compact S90.

A very good showing for first time out with an SLR.

1 - shows the limitations of the S2000 - trying to light a large scene balanced against the bright surface is asking a bit much. The light intensity is OK in places, but the coverage is insufficient. This is an extreme example and actually is encouraging that the S2000 strobes will do a good job most of the time for wide angle - at least where you are trying to light a smaller area or not trying to balance light against such a bright surface (even though it was cloudy on that day - it is still pretty bright).

2 - nice composition. Fish are pink from over white balancing - a usual indication of not getting enough strobe light on the subject and having to compensate in post processing. On the plus side the fish are not burned out - which would be worse. Reprocess with less tint and more fill light.

3- Technically fine. I find the lighting a bit hard (again to be expected from S2000), but not wrong. Background is nice.

4 - Bit lost in the background. Some selective lightening and of the subject (esp eyes) and darkening of the background will improve matters.

5 - Strobe on right is too far out and is going behind the subject lighting the rock and not critter. This bright area distracts the eye.

6 - Like the tentacles and beige background. Good subject separation around the head. Tail chopped off.

Alex

#11 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

Thanks very much for the constructive feedback Alex, understand the learning curve in front of me. The images were basic post processed via Canon DPP. I have just invested in LR4 so looking for better fix options in future. Also, with the Z240 at my disposal Im looking for better lighting results esp wide angle. Perhaps here the OP can make up their mind about the value of S2000s with DSLR. BTW FYI all these were with the diffuser on the S2000s. For such small strobes as results show they have sufficient lighting. The perfect strobes for me would be the full output of the Z240 with the option of selecting single or double light bulbs with perhaps the size and weight in between the S2000 and Z240.

#12 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I am gonna try and get down to Ocean Optics to have a play in their pool beofre I do my first trip, hopefully this will give me some practical experience before getting back in the sea!

#13 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

Best of luck with the venture Longimanus1975

Alex I went through my other shots of No.6 and found this other one with the tail in frame though slightly blurred. btw the first photo was rotated vertically to give that portrait effect. This photo is as is - Remember its not cropped - no diopters were used either. Just shot with a 60mm. This shot I had to get in a tight spot thats where the S2000 size came in handy. Thoughts?

Posted Image

Edited by gee13, 22 March 2012 - 04:26 AM.

#14 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

All of the images from this trip were shot with two Inon S2000s and a Nikon D200:

Baja California 2010

Having said that, I usually use Z240s for wide-angle. Alex's comments are spot on, which isn't surprising as his lighting is the best that I've ever seen.

I've been using straw filters (another of Alex's ideas) on my Inons in blue water, which subtly improves the colour of the final image. The filter gel sits underneath the diffusor plate. I usually don't use filters for macro, but leave the diffusors in place

Tim

:lol:

Edited by tdpriest, 25 March 2012 - 05:03 AM.

#15 sarahluke

sarahluke

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:08 AM

great!:lol:

#16 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Tim

Just looked through your photos, must say they are very impressive!

Gives me confidence in the s2000 strobes!

Thanks for sharing

#17 DocTock

DocTock

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Interesting thread and Dr Mustard's input is definitely appreciated!

I currently have 2 x s2000 and have found what has already been discussed above - they are great for macro, not so great for wide angle.

After my last trip I managed to snag a pre-owned Z240 type4 off of the Classifieds and was wondering if the following set up would work:
One Z240 on one side, and both s2000 on the other?
As I have a 3-way clamp, and some 5" arms, I could easily spread the s2000 apart - or keep them closer with no arm segments between the 3-way and the strobes.

Thoughts?
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#18 Thomas König

Thomas König

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

@gee13
I like the second shot of that triplefin better than the first. I think composition is better on it, so it's overall more appealing, at least to my eye. Also, you can see the whole fish. Very pleasing color tones. How close were you to the subject?

#19 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

After my last trip I managed to snag a pre-owned Z240 type4 off of the Classifieds and was wondering if the following set up would work:
One Z240 on one side, and both s2000 on the other?

Since some directionality is useful, maybe just one S2000 would work as well, on the "non-dominant" side?

Tim

:)

#20 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Thomas, I do like it better as well, I was very close in for that shot a matter of cms away. Macro port was right in there, fortunately he was a good poser... Tim I had been shooting with just one strobe before with a compact.. I didnt get as consistent lighting results with just one S2000 and when I got the second one it really opened up so many possibilities. Guess with 2 the option is still there in some situations where shadow lighting can be used just switch any one strobe off.