#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Cool to follow
http://deepseachallenge.com
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

After a 50 year hiatus, since the Triste plumbed the depths of Challenger Deep, there are now 3 different operations that are intent on exploring the deepest canyons of the worlds oceans. This is particularly notable when the majority of focus for deep ocean exploration has been focused on remote and unmanned vehicles for the last 3 decades. Whilst unmanned technologies are cheaper and safer there is still a certain romance in getting people down deep.

It is great to see such a push for ocean exploration again with the building of three full ocean depth submersibles, where only a few years ago there was none.

Check out these guys too

www.race2innerspace.com/
www.virginoceanic.com/
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1498 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

After a 50 year hiatus, since the Triste plumbed the depths of Challenger Deep, there are now 3 different operations that are intent on exploring the deepest canyons of the worlds oceans. This is particularly notable when the majority of focus for deep ocean exploration has been focused on remote and unmanned vehicles for the last 3 decades. Whilst unmanned technologies are cheaper and safer there is still a certain romance in getting people down deep.

It is great to see such a push for ocean exploration again with the building of three full ocean depth submersibles, where only a few years ago there was none.

Check out these guys too

www.race2innerspace.com/
www.virginoceanic.com/

It certainly helps to have a zillion dollars like Cameron and Branson. It used to be that the science programs in the developed countries did this but then again it used to be true that the US could go to the moon, now we need to hitchhike to the Space Station with the Russians.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I like the fact that the people with a zillion dollars think this is a good thing to do. It's hard to make an economic case for deep sea (or space) exploration, but the inventions required to get there are likely to be useful for a lot of other things. Having a private, determined investor who knows how to tell a good story make it happen is great.

If only that website supported RSS.

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

5:52 ET today, he did it!
This sure makes a whole lot more sense than going to the moon, and a lot cheaper as well.

Edited by loftus, 25 March 2012 - 02:56 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

5:52 ET today, he did it!
This sure makes a whole lot more sense than going to the moon, and a lot cheaper as well.

Couldn't agree more with that!

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#7 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

The sad thing is that the worldwide press has buried the story in the science and tech sections. This is a significant achievement without a government subsidy of any kind, in an environment as hostile as outer space.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yes, it certainly was buried in todays paper. I am sure Mr. Cameron took quite a bit of film and photos and hope images will be released soon. I also wonder why his expected 6 hour downtime was cut to a little more than 3 hours.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#9 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yes, it certainly was buried in todays paper. I am sure Mr. Cameron took quite a bit of film and photos and hope images will be released soon. I also wonder why his expected 6 hour downtime was cut to a little more than 3 hours.
Steve

He apparently had some leaking hydraulic fluid and thruster malfunctions, and essentially had to abort. Says that he did not see much except some shrimp like cephalopods.

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

I am sure Mr. Cameron took quite a bit of film and photos and hope images will be released soon.
Steve

Apparently the whole mission was put on hold until his RED EPIC was delivered ... He was behind Peter Jackson on the list :lol:

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Yeah, the housing for that should be good to 38,000 feet...just like GoPros.
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.