9 replies to this topic

#1 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1540 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

We just got a new 27inch IMAC and the screen is quite green compared to our old one. Any advice on calibration for this display. Colormunki vs. others.
thanks
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#2 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

We just got a new 27inch IMAC and the screen is quite green compared to our old one. Any advice on calibration for this display. Colormunki vs. others.
thanks
Bill

Colormunki is good. I use a Spyder 3. You really can't go wrong with the products by either DataColor or X-rite. Just get the one that does everything you want it to do, i.e. monitor, projector, printer, etc calibration.

#3 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Oh and make sure it is compatible with the operating system

#4 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

I recently got a Colormunki to use with my Mac. It seems to work well, and I've certainly noticed a difference in the photos I've been processing since I installed it. It has a nice feature where every so often (at user-defined time increments) it reevaluates the light levels in the room and adjusts the monitor.

-Gina

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

When calibrating I would suggest that all lights in the room be off. I have my monitor tell me to recalibrate every 200 hours, but just as important, if you are using an external monitor for color correction purposes, is to have it calibrated as well once a burn in time of at least 150 hours has passed. Same thing for home theater monitors.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

I just upgraded from 24" IMAC to the 27" Thunderbolt display and a Spyder 4 Pro....I can say that the Spyder is very simple to use....I know the Colormunki is suppose to be good, but not sure on ease of use (for those of us with limited computer skills).
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hey Mike,
Does the glossy screen bother you?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#8 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

I have both the ColorMunki and Spyder 3 calibrators and have tried them on a few systems. (Windows 7, not mac and with a high end wide gamut matte screen Dell U2711). Both calibrators work well, I was a bit more partial to the Colormunki system in terms of ease of use and results. Both have active monitoring and adjustment of ambient light, and this makes a bit difference as the light in my office shifts over the course of the day and seasons.

thanks
Bill

#9 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hey Mike,
Does the glossy screen bother you?
Steve

Doesn't bother me Steve...I'm used to my iMac screen, but would prefer an antiglare screen like my MacBook Pro, which I have connected to my TB display.
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have both the ColorMunki and Spyder 3 calibrators and have tried them on a few systems. (Windows 7, not mac and with a high end wide gamut matte screen Dell U2711). Both calibrators work well, I was a bit more partial to the Colormunki system in terms of ease of use and results. Both have active monitoring and adjustment of ambient light, and this makes a bit difference as the light in my office shifts over the course of the day and seasons.

Will these apps work on an external monitor as well if using an I/O box like the MXO2, AJA or Black Magic Design I/Os or are they just for a computer monitor?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas