• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

I am hoping one of you experts can offer a little advise!

I went to open up some files tonight and it reminded me of this error I uncovered a while ago. When I was doing a little clean up on some post-Hurricane Irene images, I added my signature watermark, and re-saved the file as a jpeg. I neglected to flatten the image though, so I ended up with huge files... 80MB or so.

So tonight, I thought I would open them up, flatten the layers, and get the file size down to something manageable. However, when I try to open the file in Elements or Photoshop I get this error: "Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."

They open fine in "Preview" on my Macbook.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? It's not a huge deal as I still have my originals, but it would save about 4,000 hours of "despeckling"!

Thanks in advance

Edited by Stoo, 21 March 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#2 Panda

Panda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Split levels, timelapse, temperate critters.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Open in Preview then go File > Export and save it as something else.

anewton.net - UW blog - KAP blog
Victoria Australia. Nikon D7000, Lumix LX3. Ikelite. Inon. GoPro 2

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

Maybe they have been labelled with the wrong file type in the suffix. If they are layered files they are likely PSD (or TIF) and not JPG.

Maybe Preview can work it out, but PS not.

Try manually changing this.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Maybe they have been labelled with the wrong file type in the suffix. If they are layered files they are likely PSD (or TIF) and not JPG.

Maybe Preview can work it out, but PS not.

Try manually changing this.

Alex

Agree with Alex, files are probably mislabeled. Layered PS files are never JPEG.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Agree with Alex, files are probably mislabeled. Layered PS files are never JPEG.

Go figure... Thanks folks. I'll try what you suggest and report back...

Edit: I once I had a graphic artist explain to a client why you couldn't just change the extension on a file and have a new kind of file (The client was trying to "create" and .eps from a .jpg by just changing the extension...) She said, "Just because you name your cat Rover, it doesn't make it a dog".

Apparently this situation is an exception. I took these offending .jpgs, changed the extension to .psd. The opened in PS no problem, flattened them, re-saved as jpgs... Bob's yer uncle.

Thank!

Edited by Stoo, 22 March 2012 - 08:55 PM.