• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chuckdee

chuckdee

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

COMPLETE noob to underwater photography. I've seen some shots on the web, specifically of dogs diving underwater to retrieve a ball or toy and thought they were awesome. Has anyone seen these? I can probably link them but don't want to ruffle any feathers.
I think there is a big market for this in my area and would like to find out more info on what I would need in terms of casing, housing? and lighting. Any info would be appreciated.

Grazie!

#2 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

COMPLETE noob to underwater photography. I've seen some shots on the web, specifically of dogs diving underwater to retrieve a ball or toy and thought they were awesome. Has anyone seen these? I can probably link them but don't want to ruffle any feathers.
I think there is a big market for this in my area and would like to find out more info on what I would need in terms of casing, housing? and lighting. Any info would be appreciated.

Grazie!

I saw those dogs! I don't think you would ruffle anyone's feathers by posting the link. In fact I think the photographer might even appreciate it given that he get's paid from the advertising on facebook.

The funny thing is that I did something very similar when I visited some family in Dallas. See the shots towards the bottom of the set -

http://www.facebook....mp;l=2870f12bfa

I shot from the hip using a nauticam NA 7d with two Inon strobes. It was a lot of fun... I would have done a whole series had I known how popular it would have turned out...

What system should you use? Well, I think you need something without shutter lag for sure, so that rules out the point and shoots. Maybe the micro-four thirds will be the cheapest option without shutter lag. Panasonic GH2, Sony NEX or Olympus PEN. DSLR's I would say are more expensive (generally) and so are their housings. Depends on your budget and how high quality you want the shots to be.

Cheers!