CQ CQ CQ calling all amateur radio operators

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

I just got my amateur radio license in December (Basic with Honours) and am wondering if there are any other divers with amateur radio licenses.

Having the “Basic with Honours” license (test score higher than 80%) in Canada allows me to use all the amateur radio bands, unlike the graduated system used in some countries.

I am working on my tower and HF antenna system installation and am hoping to have it functioning by mid April. At the moment I am making due with a borrowed HF vertical antenna.

I think it could be great fun to get a Wetpixel radio net going on a regular basis.

Looking forward to your replies (with your call sign if possible).
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Why do you need a radio when we have Skype? Just kidding.. :lol:

Edited by loftus, 26 March 2012 - 04:24 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

We do use Skype and other VOIP services to extend the reception range of our radios.

Echolink and IRLP(Internet Radio Linking Project) come to mind but there are many other programs available.

I got the license because three of my closest dive buddies are amateur radio enthusiasts and it is now becoming the preferred means of communication amongst us.

We are now planning a radio/scuba expedition to the Bahamas in October. Four or five days diving and two days radio contesting.

Dive our hearts out in the morning, then sit back with a mojito under a palm tree and do some radio contesting. Perfect, life's good.

Does not look like there are many divers that are amateur radio operators here on Wetpixel, guess I'll have to check out a few amateur radio websites and see if anyone there dives. :lol:
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

We do use Skype and other VOIP services to extend the reception range of our radios.

Echolink and IRLP(Internet Radio Linking Project) come to mind but there are many other programs available.

I got the license because three of my closest dive buddies are amateur radio enthusiasts and it is now becoming the preferred means of communication amongst us.

We are now planning a radio/scuba expedition to the Bahamas in October. Four or five days diving and two days radio contesting.

Dive our hearts out in the morning, then sit back with a mojito under a palm tree and do some radio contesting. Perfect, life's good.

Does not look like there are many divers that are amateur radio operators here on Wetpixel, guess I'll have to check out a few amateur radio websites and see if anyone there dives. :lol:

What is radio contesting? Sounds like there could be some slurred speech going on in the Bahamas.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

Radio contesting in its simplest form is contacting as many other amateur radio stations in a given time.

Competitions vary in time duration and restrictions as well as the way points are earned.

Logs of contacts are kept and forwarded to the sponsoring organization and cross checked for accuracy.

Since amateur radio operators are restricted by law from making commercial gains from their on-air activities, only bragging rights and sometimes certificates or trophies of minimal cost are awarded.

There is an exhaustive explanation "here" on wikipedia.org that details the sport of radio contesting.

I plan on using the mojitos as a "home remedy for medicinal purposes" and hopefully will not be "over medicating" myself or the others. :lol:
Paul Walker.