Stills from video

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ColinMunro

ColinMunro

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Marine Biology, conservation, temperate water diving.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Ok, I like to think I already know the answers to this, but I'd like the opinion of others with experience here: what are the advantages or disadvantages of taking stills (aiming for highest quality images) from video (1080 or 720) as opposed to taking stills directly with a DSLR or compact.

#2 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:16 AM

Resolution. I would say that your stills will have a maximum size of 1080 x 720.... DSLR's and compacts are able to capture way larger resolutions then that.
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#3 ColinMunro

ColinMunro

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

Resolution. I would say that your stills will have a maximum size of 1080 x 720.... DSLR's and compacts are able to capture way larger resolutions then that.

Hi Cerianthus. yeah, I understand that. I'm trying to see if anyone knows any advantages. Plus a detailed decsription of the disadvantages to see whether it concurs with my own views.

#4 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Hi Cerianthus. yeah, I understand that. I'm trying to see if anyone knows any advantages. Plus a detailed decsription of the disadvantages to see whether it concurs with my own views.

The only advantage I can think of would be that you didn't have to stop taking video to take a photo. Even that, though, can be surmounted--most consumer and some prosumer Canon and Sony video cameras can take a still while taking video, as long as the video isn't at the highest bitrate setting. So for example, the Canon HF S30 can shoot a 8MP still while shooting video without interrupting the video stream.

Disadvantages: low resolution, high likelihood of motion blur in any individual frame (unless you're shooting with a really high shutter speed, which is unlikely UW since you have less light to play with), less depth of color in any individual frame than on a regular still image...the list goes on :lol:

#5 ColinMunro

ColinMunro

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

The only advantage I can think of would be that you didn't have to stop taking video to take a photo. Even that, though, can be surmounted--most consumer and some prosumer Canon and Sony video cameras can take a still while taking video, as long as the video isn't at the highest bitrate setting. So for example, the Canon HF S30 can shoot a 8MP still while shooting video without interrupting the video stream.

Disadvantages: low resolution, high likelihood of motion blur in any individual frame (unless you're shooting with a really high shutter speed, which is unlikely UW since you have less light to play with), less depth of color in any individual frame than on a regular still image...the list goes on :lol:

Thanks Blaisedouros

Can't disagree with anything you say.

#6 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

So for example, the Canon HF S30 can shoot a 8MP still while shooting video without interrupting the video stream.

I'm interested in this - I have a Canon HF S30 mounted in a L&M Bluefin housing, and have not been able to figure out how to do this. However, I apparently did grab a couple of stills while shooting video, since they were stored on the card. I'm just not quite sure how I did it. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#7 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I'm interested in this - I have a Canon HF S30 mounted in a L&M Bluefin housing, and have not been able to figure out how to do this. However, I apparently did grab a couple of stills while shooting video, since they were stored on the card. I'm just not quite sure how I did it. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Hi SwiftFF5; on your left handle look on the "left" directional button; there is a little camera icon next to it. If you press and hold this button, the camera will take a still. This works whether or not you're recording video. I can't remember if there's any resolution penalty if you take the pic while recording video; I don't think there is, though.

#8 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

Wonderful, thanks very much. I really appreciate the help.
Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver