11 replies to this topic

#1 oosantoo

oosantoo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

Hi all

Im planing a 4 months trip in southeast asia. I don't have much money to spend so I won't be staying at any fancy hotels, I don't expect to come across facilities like safes.

I want to bring all my photo gear and underwater photo gear ( SLR, lenses, Subal, Inons). Im worked I may get stolen and I would like to make an insurance. I think I will be fine without flooding insurance if that makes a big difference in how much I have to pay.

I have no Idea about insurances, with one to choose, how to choose, etc etc

Any advise or suggestions?

Thank you

#2 eric black

eric black

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

I have all of my equipment insured by State Farm using a "Personal Articles Policy" which is a rider on my homeowners insurance that gives me replacement value in the event of a flood or loss of equipment for anything but -believe it or not- a nuclear holocaust event. One catch- I dont use my equipment for business purposes- back when I did that, I had to insure things under a business associated policy and I dont really remember how I did that- might have been one of thos online insurance companies associated with dive gear.

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

I have my gear here insured: http://www.divemaste...t/Equipment.php
A friend of mine lost her D9 computer and this insurance paid within 2 weeks with no problems.
That convinced me to sign also the insurance for my gear.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

I have looked into this for myself and contacted my contents insurer. I have supplied a list of all equipment with links to prices and asked if covered in various scenarios, they have come back and said that it will all be covered if I increased my contents insurance up to a specific level to cover me abroad. May be something to check out.

Interested in what others think here as well

#5 jackdiver

jackdiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

I also insure under my household insurance.
I'm not sure that I'm covered in the event of me flooding my housing, but at the price that the likes of divemaster charge, I'd have to be claiming every other year for it to be cheaper than "self underwriting"...

I do know that I'm covered for all of my gear (including rebreather) when travelling.

:lol:
Nikon D7000, Nauticam housing, YS-110 x 2.

#6 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Thats good to hear that someone else insures under their house insurance.

I did specifically ask what would happen if the housing flooded and they assured me that it would be covered, but only if it wasnt a manufacturing malfunction (Not sure how they would tell), it was covered under accidental damage.

#7 oosantoo

oosantoo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

thank you all for your help...

#8 pfinnegan

pfinnegan

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

I have a Cannon 7d and got the insurance from best buy, anything happens to the camera I can bring it back, they will fix or you get new model:)

#9 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

I have a Cannon 7d and got the insurance from best buy, anything happens to the camera I can bring it back, they will fix or you get new model:)

Just curious, what if it's stolen?

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#10 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

I have my insurance through Thomas Pickard in America which includes
my UW gear (even flooding) my computers, rentals, theft etc.
It's a bit under 1k US a year. Tax deductible as a business expense too.

I've stayed in hostels, hotels (now my own apt) used a variety of transport
and have found that you can't foresee all things but use common sense.

Edited by Cary Dean, 04 April 2012 - 10:22 PM.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#11 pKai

pKai

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I use State Farm Personal Articles Policy. Very economical and good..... Last summer, I lost a Canon S-90, housing, and 2 Ike strobes when an idiot boat crewman let is slide over the side. They paid full replacement value by check within 10 days no questions asked. They also offered to replace everything for me (IOW, buy it and send it) but I took the money (same amount) instead and upgraded to M4/3 by adding some cash of my own.

IDK if this available in the UK (noticed your flag, there...)

I pay like $350 annually for all my dive and photo gear (like $21k) covered against anything except getting nuked -- like the other poster said.... LOL... I suppose if my gear gets nuked, I won't be far enough away from it to matter.... LOL!

#12 Swimmersible

Swimmersible

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I use State Farm Personal Articles Policy. Very economical and good..... Last summer, I lost a Canon S-90, housing, and 2 Ike strobes when an idiot boat crewman let is slide over the side. They paid full replacement value by check within 10 days no questions asked. They also offered to replace everything for me (IOW, buy it and send it) but I took the money (same amount) instead and upgraded to M4/3 by adding some cash of my own.

IDK if this available in the UK (noticed your flag, there...)

I pay like $350 annually for all my dive and photo gear (like $21k) covered against anything except getting nuked -- like the other poster said.... LOL... I suppose if my gear gets nuked, I won't be far enough away from it to matter.... LOL!

These insurance people.. Getting nuked.. Laughing so hard.. :0