• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

The turn out at the Beneath the Sea dive show last weekend (March 23 – 25) was huge, supposedly one of the largest on BTS’s record. Naturally, with all the latest interest in rebreathers, we had a lot of that traffic stop by the KISS Rebreather booth – manned by Kim Mikusch (owner), Mike Young, Dave Oldham and myself (not pictured, because I was taking it). There, everyone was able to see both the KISS Explorer CCR and the GEM SCR (in both basic and advanced configurations) side by side. I will say GEM got the lion’s share of attention; mainly for its more cost effective and simplistic approach to getting into rebreathers, and as a tool to underwater photographers for extending bottom time with less noise.

On Monday following BTS, PADI held another one of their PADI’s RecToTec try dive experience, in which attendees could try out various open circuit side-mount rigs, full-face masks and rebreathers.

Although the event was not as large as the one organized at DEMA, according to Dave, there were between 60 and 100 people that went into the water. Some of the divers were there to trying everything they could. Others were instructors who wanted to find out what this Tech thing is all about. On the plus side, Dave was also able to spend more time one on one with everyone who came to try out the GEM semi-closed rebreather.
IMG_8002.jpeg

Attached Images

• IMG_8012.jpeg
  • M0013427.jpg