• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

I would like to get some input from folks for a video recording device. My needs are twofold; the first is unrelated to photography - I want to be able to record high quality ultrasound imaging that is output through a Mac Book Pro monitor output. The second will be if I ever get around to recording the uncompressed output from my D800. My first need is immediate, my second is just a possibility.
I need high quality for medical purposes, but definitely don't want to break the bank doing it. Things like the Sony Medical Recorder are way beyond the price point I want, as adding medical quadruples the price. I'm sure there are non-medical devices like this that do the same thing.
http://pro.sony.com/...duct-HVO1000MD/

Edited by loftus, 31 March 2012 - 08:03 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

The two I would look at would be the Pix 240 or the Atmos Ninja or Samurai depending on your needs and connectivity. What output do you have from the MBP, you may need to look at Blackmagic as they also do a stack of converters and capture devices.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#3 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

If the images for the ultrasound are on your mbp can't you just use some screen capture recording software? I don't have any to recommend but I know at least a couple work really well. Other than that what Jon said and you can get mini display to hdmi adapters for ninja or pix devices which are both great.

Cheers, Simon

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

If the images for the ultrasound are on your mbp can't you just use some screen capture recording software? I don't have any to recommend but I know at least a couple work really well. Other than that what Jon said and you can get mini display to hdmi adapters for ninja or pix devices which are both great.

Cheers, Simon

Thanks guys, good idea Simon, too obvious for me to think of - let me look into that first.
Actually, even though it is a MBP the ultrasound device runs on Windows, so I have to look for Windows video capture software.

Edited by loftus, 03 April 2012 - 02:35 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

I have used Camtasia as screen capture software, worked really well.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

I bought and paid for Ambrosia's SnapZ Pro X and have used it constantly for screen captures as well as video captures. I have found it flawless on both my Mac Pro and MBP. I do not believe they make a PC version of it however.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.