#1 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Dive, dive, and dive again.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

Hi guys,

Found these two colorful fellows in Alor, Indonesia. Do you know what they are doing? Cannot seem to figure it out...

wetp.JPG

Cheers

Daniel
Daniel Stassen

Marine Biologist, Pearl Farmer, and photographer at heart...

My Blog: www.dstassen.com

My equipment: Canon 7D, Nauticam ND7, Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder, lenses (canon) 100 mm, 60 mm, 10-22 mm. Twin Inon Z240 strobes, 3 x Sea&Sea YS110 alpha.

#2 sdingeldein

sdingeldein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

Hi guys,

Found these two colorful fellows in Alor, Indonesia. Do you know what they are doing? Cannot seem to figure it out...

wetp.JPG

Cheers

Daniel

I'm assuming that the orange one is the second one. If so, it may be "trailing": "Also known as queueing or tail-gating, all species of the chromodorid genus Risbecia exhibit this behaviour where they seem to play "follow the leader". Perhaps its a behaviour which has evolved amongst relatively uncommon animals to ensure they find each other for mating. When tailing, one animal appears to follow the mucous trail of the other until they actually make contact. Then the following animal, as can be seen in thse photos, keeps contact by touching the 'tail' of the leader. Sometimes 3 or 4 animals can be seen together."

I've seen it in a Caribbean slug

Fact Sheet - Trailing
Born to dive, forced to work

#3 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:05 AM

The orange one looks like Gymnodoris inornata which is a predator of other nudibranchs. Looks like it is in the process of making a meal of the other nudi similar to this:

http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/15816

Edited by Gudge, 01 April 2012 - 03:12 AM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#4 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

The orange one looks like Gymnodoris inornata which is a predator of other nudibranchs. Looks like it is in the process of making a meal of the other nudi similar to this:

http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/15816

Thanks guys for your quick answers!

I always assumed that nudibranchs would follow a chemical trail left by its own species or at least genus, but two different species from different genuses attracting each other does seem odd.

Gudge, i must admit i rulled out the predator theory as i tought the orange one was from the genus Nembrotha that to my knowledge aren't predators of other nudis. Next time I 'll research better before asking. Thanks for the link!

Such a big prey for such a tiny predator. It does seem that in the world of nudies it is not always the biggest who eats the smallest...

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by danielstassen, 01 April 2012 - 03:42 AM.

Daniel Stassen

My equipment: Canon 7D, Nauticam ND7, Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder, lenses (canon) 100 mm, 60 mm, 10-22 mm. Twin Inon Z240 strobes, 3 x Sea&Sea YS110 alpha.

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Such a big prey for such a tiny predator. It does seem that in the world of nudies it is not always the biggest who eats the smallest...

Like we keep telling you guys, size isn't everything! :lol:

According to the ever-informative Sea Slug Forum Gymnodoris inornata usually attacks its prey from behind, makes a hole in the prey's skin, and sucks out the internal organs. The prey shrivels away until it is an empty husk at which point the G. inornata will swallow what's left. So as long as it can stay attached it will be a successful predator on animals much larger than itself. http://www.seaslugfo...howall/gymninor

#6 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Leslie.
Daniel Stassen

#7 howeikwok

howeikwok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

From what i know after reading some books, some Gymnodoris species munch/graze on the gills of other Nudis as opposed to eating them whole. So from the position that might be the case here?
Canon 50D/60mm macro/100mm macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing/Inon Z-240s