• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

I gave in an purchased a Sola 800 Photo. I love it with one exception; I sometimes have the red light show up in photos. I typically use it on its lowest setting and have tried positioning the light so I am using more of the edge of the light, but still I am having problems on some photos, especially where there is a sandy background (actually, I believe it is influencing other photos but it is not obvious). Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I am thinking of going through my shots to see if I can discern a pattern in regard to aperture or shutter speed. The light will not take a screw-in diffuser and I have not found anything that would slip on.

I shoot almost exclusively in clear tropical water.

Thanks for any help.

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

There are other threads on this topic. Do a search for it. Others have reported similar effects when shooting at more open aperture related to balancing background. A strobe lit f16, 1/250 macro shot is unlikely to show the red while wide angle shot with f5.6 and 1/125 is more likely to show it. Your thoughts on reviewing ap. and shutter speed related to the issue would seem reasonable.
When using a Sola 600 on red at the lowest setting, I find no influence on macro shots - which are generally f16 or more closed.
I find no need for the focus light with wide angle shots in similar clear tropical water.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

There are other threads on this topic. Do a search for it. Others have reported similar effects when shooting at more open aperture related to balancing background. A strobe lit f16, 1/250 macro shot is unlikely to show the red while wide angle shot with f5.6 and 1/125 is more likely to show it. Your thoughts on reviewing ap. and shutter speed related to the issue would seem reasonable.
When using a Sola 600 on red at the lowest setting, I find no influence on macro shots - which are generally f16 or more closed.
I find no need for the focus light with wide angle shots in similar clear tropical water.

I should have searched first. I now see the discussions you are referring to.