• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ken Kurtis

Ken Kurtis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Just got back from a week in Yap (will work on a trip report and pix this week) but thought you might like to see the results I got with my GoPro in this 6-minute video. Some technical notes:

1. Sharks were shot with a +4 diopter and Magic Filter (52mm screw-in) using medium and narrow lens options. I also used dual Sola 1200 lights.
2. Mandarinfish used the +4 diopter and Magic Filter (screw-in) on narrow, also with lights.
3. My entry was GoPro in the housing through flat port. Not at all nuts about audio quality but haven't yet played with it.
4. Manta sequences used NO diopter because I had the flat Magic Filter from backscater that clamps on via clever o-ring. But it tajes the threading out of play because it dovers it. However, I could shoot wide, medium, and narrow.
5. Final surface sequence is hand-held with filter removed.

Alex & I have traded a couple of e-mails about lights vs. no lights for the Magic Filter. My thought (and I did some tests in the Aqaurium where I volnunteer as well) is that the lights really enahnce everything as long as you're careful not to blow stuff out. The Magic Filter is great if you've got an evenly-lit, bright, sunny scene in front of you. Then you probably don't need lights. But if things are going into shadows, or you can light your entire field-of-view with the lights, I've been generally happy with the results I've been getting. Anyone else experimenting???

http://kenkurtis.smu...a...mp;lb=1&s=A

- Ken

Ken Kurtis
(Nikon D200 in an Ikelite housing w/dual YS-D1s & a GoPro Hero2 in a Backscatter housing w/dual Sola 1200s)
NAUI Instr. #5936 • Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co. • Beverly Hills, CA
www.reefseekers.com

#2 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

That was a great video. I think lights with magic filter looked just fine. I would like to learn more about the go pro and magic filter.