ikelite D800

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mgokalp

mgokalp

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:phootgraphy and videography<br />sponges, mediterranean marinelife

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hey guys,

I am planning on changing my d300s ikelite system with d800 but I have two questions in mind.
I used d300 and d300s happily shot hundred thousands of pictures but its time to pass to full frame with better quality lenses and i really need the full HD video ability. I am using a Sony EX-1 totally love it but it is many times tiring to carry that weight around besides I am willing to do some macro videos with d800 ad it will be a good back up.

- How good and satisfactory of the video quality of d800 compared to Canon 5D MKII?

- Do you have any idea when ikelite is planning to come up with the new d800? price?

cheers,
mert

http://www.wetbluediary.com
MERT GOKALP

#2 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hey guys,

I am planning on changing my d300s ikelite system with d800 but I have two questions in mind.
I used d300 and d300s happily shot hundred thousands of pictures but its time to pass to full frame with better quality lenses and i really need the full HD video ability. I am using a Sony EX-1 totally love it but it is many times tiring to carry that weight around besides I am willing to do some macro videos with d800 ad it will be a good back up.

- How good and satisfactory of the video quality of d800 compared to Canon 5D MKII?

I guess nobody at this point still really knows, but in the preview of the D800 on dpreview they wrote:

'The D700 didn't have a movie mode (amazing how much has changed in 3, 1/2 years) but the D800 offers one of the most advanced video-shooting specifications around - a clear sign that Nikon has its eye on the semi-pro and enthusiast videographers that Canon captured with the 5D Mark II.'

so i suppose it's pretty good.... i noticed with my D800 that when you film in manual mode you can easily adjust shutterspeed, aperture and ISO, during recording. I'm not a filming guy, but i can imagine that this kind of controls are important to filmers

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#3 mgokalp

mgokalp

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

yeah I looked at the discussion here on the advertisement movie for the camera but its such a big production and its not providing sufficient answers for me.
I just need to see more user videos online to be able to understand the abilities. The shutter, aperture ISO adjustments are always great to have it together with two card slots, HDMI and voice recording. In comparison some of the aspects are even better than MKIII but thats in theory. Canon has been producing good quality video cameras for ages and i so want to believe that Nikon achieved that too. I am sure about the quality should have no problem on that respect.

MKII has found itself in the market with the low budget filming productions all around the world. Nikon had to give an answer to that. My question is : how efficient is their answer???

I guess nobody at this point still really knows, but in the preview of the D800 on dpreview they wrote:

'The D700 didn't have a movie mode (amazing how much has changed in 3, 1/2 years) but the D800 offers one of the most advanced video-shooting specifications around - a clear sign that Nikon has its eye on the semi-pro and enthusiast videographers that Canon captured with the 5D Mark II.'

so i suppose it's pretty good.... i noticed with my D800 that when you film in manual mode you can easily adjust shutterspeed, aperture and ISO, during recording. I'm not a filming guy, but i can imagine that this kind of controls are important to filmers

MERT GOKALP

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

I think the most important question you have to ask is whether you want to change to full frame; underwater for scuba type imaging DX is arguably superior to FX. I think you should be asking whether to wait for the D300s upgrade (the D7000 already is a significant upgrade to the D300s in most respects) rather than whether the Nikon or Canon have better video - as they are probably pretty similar in that respect.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

yeah I looked at the discussion here on the advertisement movie for the camera but its such a big production and its not providing sufficient answers for me.
I just need to see more user videos online to be able to understand the abilities. The shutter, aperture ISO adjustments are always great to have it together with two card slots, HDMI and voice recording. In comparison some of the aspects are even better than MKIII but thats in theory. Canon has been producing good quality video cameras for ages and i so want to believe that Nikon achieved that too. I am sure about the quality should have no problem on that respect.

MKII has found itself in the market with the low budget filming productions all around the world. Nikon had to give an answer to that. My question is : how efficient is their answer???

Today a side by side review was linked in dpreview:

http://www.dslrnewss...canon-5d-mkiii/

The D800 it's better then the markII and compared to the Mark III they both have plusses and minusses as stated in their conclusions:

'Essentially the output from the D800 and 5D mkIII is very close. I would give it to Nikon for sharpness and the addition of the crop mode. The Canon has a clear win in terms of moire and low light performance. Personally I prefer the control layout and the colour rendition from the Canon (especially under mixed lighting) others may prefer the Nikon.'

i guess underwater we have little to do with moire effects, however, low conditions do apply to the waters where i dive....

best, udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#6 mgokalp

mgokalp

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

thanks a lot for the link Udo, most useful indeed. Now we just need to wait for the uw videos I guess

best wishes,
mert

Today a side by side review was linked in dpreview:

http://www.dslrnewss...canon-5d-mkiii/

The D800 it's better then the markII and compared to the Mark III they both have plusses and minusses as stated in their conclusions:

'Essentially the output from the D800 and 5D mkIII is very close. I would give it to Nikon for sharpness and the addition of the crop mode. The Canon has a clear win in terms of moire and low light performance. Personally I prefer the control layout and the colour rendition from the Canon (especially under mixed lighting) others may prefer the Nikon.'

i guess underwater we have little to do with moire effects, however, low conditions do apply to the waters where i dive....

best, udo

MERT GOKALP