Photo
- - - - -

Using several extension rings instead of one?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Hello everyone.

I have a friend (fellow photographer) coming to visit me here in Tulamben, Bali, at the end of the month and I was thinking about getting him to bring a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter to do some super-macro work with my 7D.

Gear that I'm using:
Aquatica A7D housing w. Aquatica Af/Mf flatport+extension and a 100mm f2.8 USM Macro

Now the questions are:

1) How much would I have to extend my port for it?

2) Does any of you have experience/suggestion using 2x "small" extension rings instead of one big? (thinking I can save the money needed to buy another bigger extension-ring)

3) I realize that dome-ports have to have a certain distance to the lens to assure optical quality, does this also go for flat-ports w. macro lenses? (I guess not?)

Thanks for the feedback, Morten L. Hansen

Edited by MortenHansen, 03 April 2012 - 03:03 AM.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1498 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hello everyone.

I have a friend (fellow photographer) coming to visit me here in Tulamben, Bali, at the end of the month and I was thinking about getting him to bring a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter to do some super-macro work with my 7D.

Gear that I'm using:
Aquatica A7D housing w. Aquatica Af/Mf flatport+extension and a 100mm f2.8 USM Macro

Now the questions are:

2) Does any of you have experience/suggestion using 2x "small" extension rings instead of one big? (thinking I can save the money needed to buy another bigger extension-ring)

3) I realize that dome-ports have to have a certain distance to the lens to assure optical quality, does this also go for flat-ports w. macro lenses? (I guess not?)

Thanks for the feedback, Morten L. Hansen

I think that the Kenko PRO 1.4 is about 23 mm long (maybe 24, someone has borrowed mine so I can't measure it right now but I have it written down as 23.5). I often use two exensions but remember that means two seals that could leak. In practice to get teh maximum
magnification your lens should be within a few mm of the port.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

1) I don't know

2) I have done this in the past. I paint a line on all my ports and extensions (started before the body port lock existed). This way I know all my ports are on tight. I don't know all the dimensions.

3) If the combination is too short, the lens will hit or rack into the glass. This is very bad. If it doesn't touch and is a little long, it will be find. If it is way too long, then will lose some ability to get close, but it is still functional. I doubt it will be to long unless one of your extensions is fairly long.

Come to think of it, I've strung 3 extensions together. Lots of failure points.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:16 AM

Just enough to be sure that the lens doesn't crash into the end of the port. My tele-converter is 19MM long.

Just more leak points and probably not as strong, not suggested.

This only applies to dome ports.
Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#5 saga7

saga7

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hi I have an aquatica part 18463 extension for sale. That might be the closest extension for size. It is in excellent condition. I would like $150usd plus shipping.
EXTENSION RING
21.5 mm / .82 (overall 34 mm / 1.32)

#6 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi I have an aquatica part 18463 extension for sale. That might be the closest extension for size. It is in excellent condition. I would like $150usd plus shipping.
EXTENSION RING

Thanks for the feedback!

And thanks for the offer, however it would not be an option for me to get anything sent, I am living in Indonesia and the postal service is less than reliable :lol: I will pick up an extension ring and the Kenko next time I drop by Singapore :)

#7 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

EXTENSION RING

I looking for a 18462 (39.5 mm / 1.56) Aquatica ext. ring if anyone has one they'd like to part with.

#8 Uli Kunkel

Uli Kunkel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I will pick up an extension ring and the Kenko next time I drop by Singapore :lol:

Yup... I kinda dropped the ball on that one, but I couldn't find them ANYWHERE.
Looking for a Kenko/tamron teleconverter here in Bangkok is like searching for an honest politician.

Does anyone know why that might be? Am I not looking in the right places?

#9 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Looking for a Kenko/tamron teleconverter here in Bangkok is like searching for an honest politician.

Don't look in the US Congress.

#10 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1498 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yup... I kinda dropped the ball on that one, but I couldn't find them ANYWHERE.

Quick Camera is the Tamron Distributor in Bangkok, (quickcamera.co@gmail.com) they should be able to tell you where to get one
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#11 Uli Kunkel

Uli Kunkel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

Quick Camera is the Tamron Distributor in Bangkok, (quickcamera.co@gmail.com) they should be able to tell you where to get one
Bill

Cheers Bill!

They didn't respond to my email, but I found one through Niks Thailand.