• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wossa

Wossa

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

I would class myself as a complete novice photographer, more at the point and shoot end of the scale rather than knowing about F stops and ISO settings etc. I brought a Canon G1 X for a diving trip last week and then after reading al the negative reviews, wondered if I had wasted my time and money. I had searched the internet for underwater images taken with the G1 X and there are very few available.

I have to be honest, I struggled with the camera, mainly around the time it takes to focus and lock onto the subject. I found that even once it has come into focus, the slightest movement from either myself or the subject would make the camera lose focus quickly and would take a blurred picture. Maybe it was me and could of been rectified if I had a better knowledge of the camera and how the various settings works, ( I will take the time to learn).

I normally use a Canon S90 with Inon wet lenses which is very forgiving and easy to use, but when the GI X focused, the clarity of the pictures where pretty impressive and was visibily better than anything the S90 could manage. Like I say, I am a total amateur but here are just a few images that I took last week, I will post a link to the full images when I have downloaded. I hope at some stage wide angle lenses will be available for the G1 X as I am sure this would make this camera more versitile for underwater photography.

I would appreciate your thoughts......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

I would class myself as a complete novice photographer, more at the point and shoot end of the scale rather than knowing about F stops and ISO settings etc. I brought a Canon G1 X for a diving trip last week and then after reading al the negative reviews, wondered if I had wasted my time and money. I had searched the internet for underwater images taken with the G1 X and there are very few available.

I have to be honest, I struggled with the camera, mainly around the time it takes to focus and lock onto the subject. I found that even once it has come into focus, the slightest movement from either myself or the subject would make the camera lose focus quickly and would take a blurred picture. Maybe it was me and could of been rectified if I had a better knowledge of the camera and how the various settings works, ( I will take the time to learn).

I normally use a Canon S90 with Inon wet lenses which is very forgiving and easy to use, but when the GI X focused, the clarity of the pictures where pretty impressive and was visibily better than anything the S90 could manage. Like I say, I am a total amateur but here are just a few images that I took last week, I will post a link to the full images when I have downloaded. I hope at some stage wide angle lenses will be available for the G1 X as I am sure this would make this camera more versitile for underwater photography.

I would appreciate your thoughts......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These images look nice to me.
I was reading the DP Review of this camera that mentioned it's focusing issues.
Where were these taken?
Gary
Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Nikon D300, Sea and Sea MDX-D300, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 12-24mm, ULCS Hardware

#3 Wossa

Wossa

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

These images look nice to me.
I was reading the DP Review of this camera that mentioned it's focusing issues.
Where were these taken?
Gary

Hi Gary

The Maldives (North Ari) last week.

#4 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

The images look nice though.

Is part of the focus problem shallow depth of field do you think? That would make focus mor critical, and small movment would take the subject out of focus.

Did you use Canons own housing and how was that control-wise compared to your other canon(?) housing?

Cheers
O

#5 Wossa

Wossa

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

The images look nice though.

Is part of the focus problem shallow depth of field do you think? That would make focus mor critical, and small movment would take the subject out of focus.

Did you use Canons own housing and how was that control-wise compared to your other canon(?) housing?

Cheers
O

I only used the Canon housing, no strobes or anything. Control wise from the two housings I would say the same (from an amateur view that is).

Is there away around the shallow depth of field, it has been suggested to me to increase my shutter speed to a minimum of 1/200 and set the 'rate of change' in my Auto ISO settings to 'high'.....

#6 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Those sweetlips are very pretty (the tails especially). Interesting how in the Maldives they don't have those blood-red splotches like they have in Palau.

Nice job without artificial lighting. This doesn't look so amateur-ish to me, but I would try and get more faces involved (that's why the last two images work the best for me, even though the first two look the sharpest). That requires patience for the shot.

I think you could benefit from some strobes though. They add a lot of capabilities.

Happy shooting!

#7 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

When I opened the thread and saw the first image I thought, "What a great shot that would be with a background of just blue water!" Then, I got to the last image! Just wish it had the sharpness and contrast of the first - in terms of the fish. Anyway, I think you did a great job despite what short-comings the camera might have.

Lee

Edited by newmanl, 04 April 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#8 Wossa

Wossa

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advise and tips that have been given.

#9 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Wossa,
sorry for the question, but i am very surprised about the vivid colors without using a strobe and the tack sharp quality of the shown pictures.
Did you modified the pictures shown in any way and if so, what did you modified?
Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 05 April 2012 - 11:23 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#10 Wossa

Wossa

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Wossa,
sorry for the question, but i am very surprised about the vivid colors without using a strobe and the tack sharp quality of the shown pictures.
Did you modified the pictures shown in any way and if so, what did you modified?
Chris

Hi Chris

I did touch them up with Lightroom 3.

#11 Wossa

Wossa

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

I have just added a short film (very roughly put together).

Maldives March 2012 - Filmed by Warren Price. | Facebook

Photo gallery (some of these images were taken with a Canon S90, most with a G1X)

http://www.warrenssi....254057_J4GnHN#