Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#63 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

Not going to order one till I know if or who will be making a housing for it.
Please someone announce a housing for it.

#64 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

Yep I'm thinking the same thing. If someone makes a good housing for this then I will be upgrading.

Panasonic GH4 user

#65 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

You guys can always custom a housing for it. I'm sure Gates and many of the smaller makers can do it. It's got lanc and everything. Talk to Stefan from BS Kinetics.

As for that slow motion video, I think Thomas needs to remember that watering the lawn between 9-4 is illegal in LA county, even if a scantily clad woman is doing it! :lol:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#66 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

Does this camera have a buffer record for the slow motion function can't find it in the specs - how long is it if it does have one.

#67 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

Mark, 8 secs @ 240fps @ 60hz. And the camera can be set to record at the beginning or the end of that burst. If you shoot in 60hz, then you get a bonus slow down when you conform to 50hz because @ 50hz, it's "only" 200fps.

Why are you considering this camera? Don't you have an Epic already?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#68 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

Low light
Slow Motion

So who's making housings then?

Hi Nick, Amphibico will be making a housing for the FS-700, it will be designed along the line of our FS-100 Genesis housing.

Since the launch of the new FS-100 housing, we have had lots of door knocking regarding the FS-700.
Joe Bendahan
AKA: Video-Joe
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#69 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Mark, 8 secs @ 240fps @ 60hz. And the camera can be set to record at the beginning or the end of that burst. If you shoot in 60hz, then you get a bonus slow down when you conform to 50hz because @ 50hz, it's "only" 200fps.

Why are you considering this camera? Don't you have an Epic already?

No Drew got a Scarlet and still waiting on a housing. Have an application where 240 fps would be great.

#70 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hi Nick, Amphibico will be making a housing for the FS-700, it will be designed along the line of our FS-100 Genesis housing.

Since the launch of the new FS-100 housing, we have had lots of door knocking regarding the FS-700.

Is the housing for FS100 available now? I can see that it is available for order in B&H but there is no information on its specifications and ports...

#71 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

I have a question for the more tech advanced guys regarding this camera.
I read on one of the websites that the 8 second burst at 240fps is slowed down 10x. So does that mean the final clip that is recorded is actually 80 seconds long?
So i won't have to slow the footage down in editing, it will record it as a slow motion sequence, is that right?
Thanks for any input.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

#72 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

B&H are already advertising these for $8000 pre order for june release.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

#73 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

Yes. 8K isn't bad for this cam. The only problem as an A cam is still lens choice and availability in a housing. As a B cam and for specialty shots, it's a nice camera.

Drew

#74 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

Hey Drew
Do you not think that this camera could ever be an A cam on production. I see that Atomos claim to be supporting the higher frame rates in this interview.

If you put this cam with an 11-17mm behind a large 8" or 9" dome would the image quality not be pretty good.

#75 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

Mark,
I probably should rephrase or at least add to it since it sounds like I'm disparaging the camera, which I'm not. I just think that lens choice is very important. An adapter is a great way to go if it fits in the housing. If you can have access to all the functions of the adapted lens with the adapter in the housing, that'd be great.
From the different mounts I've seen, I'd be pleasantly surprised if Amphibico can be adjusted to accommodate the "smart" mounts, like the Conurus (which I have), while accomodating focus/zoom ring in the Aquatica mount system. But then maybe Amphibico will have an oem mount available that fits everything! :P By smart I mean electronic control of aperture. I think Birger is going to offer AF as well later.
Same for the Atomos in a housing. It's touch screen so there has to be some sort of solution for using the recorder inside a housing.
It's not going to be straightforward, which is my point really.

Drew

#76 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

If you put this cam with an 11-17mm behind a large 8" or 9" dome would the image quality not be pretty good.

I just think that lens choice is very important. An adapter is a great way to go if it fits in the housing. If you can have access to all the functions of the adapted lens with the adapter in the housing, that'd be great.

Sony's Roadmap shows that an E-mount wide angle zoom will be released in 2012 so there may not be a need for an adapter anymore. Currently only the 11-18mm A-mount APS-C lens is listed as wide angle zoom, while 16-50, 16-80, and 16-105mm are all categorized as standard zooms, so the upcoming E-mount wide angle zoom should have focal range similar to the 11-18mm A-mount lens.

Reportedly the 16-50mm E-mount G-rated (Gold) high-performance standard zoom will be coming next, possibly this summer. Hopefully, the wide angle zoom will come with it!

Edit:
Sorry, I just realized you're most likely talking about the 10-17mm fisheye not the 11-16mm rectilinear!

Edited by A.Y., 24 May 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#77 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Nice cam alright.
Would end up being a long housing with a vari wide/zoom lens attached.
I suppose it would be a bit pointless underwater in the real world if you are stuck with no zooming ability.
Stuck in wide or marco for a dive, cannot do both kind of thing and definitively no smooth flowing shots from both extremes.
You could do a wide angle dive or a macro one but not both... or have I missed something that I don't know?
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#78 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

Is the housing for FS100 available now? I can see that it is available for order in B&H but there is no information on its specifications and ports...

The new Genesis for the Sony FS100 is now shipping, there is more info. on the Amphibico site.
Joe Bendahan
AKA: Video-Joe
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#79 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

First part of Philip Bloom's review:

[vimeohd]42862668[/vimeohd]

#80 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Interesting. Looking forward to part two.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user