• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

I have been shooting stills for some time now with the 7D in an Aquatica housing, and now I think its about time to explore a the video-side of this awesome camera!

I tried a little bit of video with my Tokina 10-17, but I find the rounded corners to be distracting while panning (esspecially at 10mm), I guess a rectilinear lens would be better.

So lets hear it, what is your experience, and of course, your personal favorites for DSLR video?

Morten.

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

I use the EF-S 10-22mm which is generally considered to be an L equivalent lens (no L lenses produced for cropped sensors), but with hindsight I would have probably gone for the Tokina 11-16mm which is often half the price, is at least as good (if not better) and with F2.8 throughout the zoom it is more versatile for topside low light shooting (I'd never try to shoot more open than F5.6 underwater for WA shots). I also highly rate the EF-S 15-85mm and EF-S 17-40mm. Of course you can also look at some of the EF L lenses and the 16-35mm is nearly always rated as pretty spectacular, but all things considered I do love the extra wow factor that 10mm or 11mm can give to underwater shots, even if it ends up being a little too wide for most shots (hence the zoom over a prime).

Cheers, Simon

#3 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

I'm with Simon about the 10-22mm. Its my preferred glass and almost always at the wide end of the zoom. I do like the extra FOV of the Sigma 8-16mm but it really needs f/8-f/11 to keep the corners acceptably crisp. Nauticam's new rectilinear dome port may be useful with this lens... I'm not at all keen on fisheyes when shooting video as I find the barrel distortion to be very distracting and very evident when panning or swimming 'through' the shot.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

And what lens is recommended for macro work with the 7 D?
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Just remembered that the 17-40mm is a L lens rather than an ef-s lens.

I've not done a lot of macro on the 7d but I have used the ef 100mm 2.8 which was great and the ef-s60mm also has good reviews, although I've not used it. For macro I really do miss the zoom ability of a camcorder. My V1 had a 20x zoom lens with an additional 10x digital extender. Compare that to using a 100mm prime and there is a world of difference.

#6 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

For Macro video definitely Canon 100mm L IS is the winner.
There is almost no IQ different with non IS lens but for video shooting, IS will help a lot (at least for me).