Help with Housing a Hassy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

So I am in the process of buying a Hassleblad with the 38 biogon lens. I want to house it and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to where I might find such a housing.

I found this Ikelight on ebay - here.

It is super cheap, but I asked the seller and he says that this is meant only for the 80mm lens. Why Ikelight would even design a housing for an 80mm lens (what, 40mm equivalent on a 35mm camera?) is beyond me.

I also see that Gates made a housing for this (one was sold at this link on WetPixel)

This may have to be in the "Want To Buy Section" but I was also wondering what luck people have with connecting strobes to this housing (totally understandable if TTL is not available :lol: ).

If anyone has one of these gates for sale or has experience with one please let me know!

Thanks!

#2 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I did a bit of searching online a few days ago but waited
until today to reply to your post since nobody else had.
I found very little info unfortunately.
AB Sea Photo in LA used to be a good source for esoteric MF
housings/info. http://www.absea.net/ Alan Broder is a wealth of
info. My personal info on this shop is far from current.
Of course Ernie Brooks http://erniebrooksea.com/ used just a few
settings and one type of film shooting his beautiful B&W Hassy UW
images.
I tend to think going this route is akin to cloning dinosaurs at this
point but it took me a bit to switch to digital and once I did I have not
looked back.
Good luck!
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi Cary,
Thank you for the reply. I have done a lot of searching and little finding. There is a bit on this forum but not much. I also found a chap from the UK that has a housing that he is willing to sell. Here is his site:

http://www.stuartchorley.com/

I know it sounds odd (not to mention expensive and totally inconvenient) to go the film route like this.... but it's more a personal satisfaction with this.

I have the 7D housing and while I still have not explored the limits of its potential... I don't care about it anymore. For nature photography, digital is the only answer. But for fine art photography, film is the only answer.

#4 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

So I am in the process of buying a Hassleblad with the 38 biogon lens. I want to house it and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to where I might find such a housing.

I also see that Gates made a housing for this (one was sold at this link on WetPixel)

This may have to be in the "Want To Buy Section" but I was also wondering what luck people have with connecting strobes to this housing (totally understandable if TTL is not available :P ).

If anyone has one of these gates for sale or has experience with one please let me know!

Thanks!

I have an H38 housing. I have a SWC/M with a CF lens to go with it. The housing will also accept the 903 model. There are two different camera trays in order to accommodate these two Superwide models.

A number of Superwide models were made over about 1/2 a century. The earliest ones were called Supreme Wide Angle. There were housings made in the 60's and 70's for the SWC C lens model. The 70's model was blue in color with yellow handles. This housing will NOT fit a SWC/M with C lens. I am not sure if any housing was made to fit this model. So you must be very specific as to which Hasselblad Superwide you have.

The H38 has two Nikonos bulkheads. There is a standard PC cord on the inside - only basic synch, the other wires in the fitting are not used so you can use various types of Nikonos cables. TTL flash is not available with any Superwide. If you want TTL ambient light metering you would have to attach a metered prism finder onto the ground glass focusing back (not for UW use). The H38 came with a diopter lens for the 8" dome port.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

But for fine art photography, film is the only answer.

:P
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

:P

Laugh all you want but it's the way I feel. There is a difference between shooting digital and shooting film.

#7 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Laugh all you want but it's the way I feel. There is a difference between shooting digital and shooting film.

No compelling need to buy a new camera every few years is certainly a difference.

Edited by Tom_Kline, 13 April 2012 - 08:47 AM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#8 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

It is a difference. Another difference is the challenge that different cameras present.

Another difference is chemicals versus electronics.

One of the fundamental elements of photography that Roland Barthes succinctly pointed out is that photographs cannot lie. What you photographed... occurred. Now, of course you can alter the composition, the lighting, contrast etc (with film)... But there was an agreement between viewer and photographer that any lying was only in terms of style... not in terms of content.

I feel that with digital photography and photoshop this trust has been broken.

I kind of went off on a philosophical limb here... but I like this kind of stuff :-).

#9 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=46015

Saw this just now....
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau