• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 saga7

saga7

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Similan Islands diving is very different from other areas i have dove. Boulders the size of houses stacked upon each other on some sites. Normal walls and reefs on others. On the sites with the huge boulders it seems the soft corals and other colorful species are between the boulders. While swimming through the passages between boulders color everywhere. On sites such as richelieu rock soft corals are everywhere. Very colorful. On a wreck we did i had eighteen lionfish feeding. So amazing the feeding frenzy i shot one hundred fifty pictures on that dive. Visibility ranges from One hundred feet to ten feet. Richelieu rock is very good for whalesharks but the day we did it i could barely see my fins visibility was so bad. Just got to go again as a whaleshark could have been ten feet away but no way to see it. It happens. I use a nikon d40x in an aquatica housing with the nikon 16-85mm lens. Ikelite AI strobe.

http://reefscenics.smugmug.com/

Attached Images

• DSC_0135___Version_2.jpg
  • DSC_0139.jpg
  • DSC_0157.jpg

#2 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

Amazing lionfish! When we went, we couldn't get to Richelieu because the princess decided to go diving there so the whole area was closed!
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#3 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Amazing lionfish! When we went, we couldn't get to Richelieu because the princess decided to go diving there so the whole area was closed!

I'd be pretty steamed, I know it's not the Dive Ops fault...but that sucks. The whole point of the Similians for me is Richelieu rock :)

Great job on your pics Saga!!!! What ISO were you shooting?

Greg

Edited by sideways, 30 April 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Similan Islands....
http://www.flickr.co...804385191/show/

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

Canon HF S30, L&M Housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

I know Richelieu Rock is supposed to be great and all that, but I have been there two times and both times Richelieu was really not that much. Never a whaleshark. Thailand and Myanmar have some of the most beautiful soft corals I have ever seen. Unfortunately, on the last trip there, we were in the water outside of Phuket when the Tsunami hit. Obviously, we cancelled that last day of diving and beat it up to Bangkok as soon as the airport opened.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 leighd

leighd

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Great pics, who were you diving with at the Similans? I just spent 8 weeks diving out of Khao Lak!
www.leighdunne.com www.facebook.com/leighdunnephoto

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Does anyone know whether the Kararu is still taking divers out of Phuket?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 Alex Lindbloom

Alex Lindbloom

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

Dived Richelieu for 3 seasons, 70+ dives...never a whale shark. Beautiful site though.