• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 stargost

stargost

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

Iíve also adopted the GH2 and found it is an amazing hybrid system. Iíve tested it intensively against the nex7 and for video, it is a no brainer: the level of details you get with the gh2, even lower patch, is just amazing. Landscape and foliage but also for macro shots are outstanding (still picture are better on nex7, but I have a dslr for still above water and I think it is easier to tweak stills, not saying that the gh2 still arenít great).
Iíve tested many hacks, and keep the 44Mbs from EOSDH due to size, while the sanity and sedna are giving better results if you look very closely (but at a cost of x5 the size).
I ďtestedĒ and loaded many patches (probably more 20) and never had any problem (but using a 95Mbs SD card). For quick review on slow computer, I found that VLC doesnít always like the high datarate (above 100) and wouldnít read them well. But it is not consistent.
I had issue with iso, but M43user helped me there with this link: http://www.personal-...usage/gh2-usage

I have the 7-14, and debating about which light system to get for uwater. Big lights (like the aditek mangrove somehow defeat the purpose), the Luna or the Fix aquavolt 5k are expensive, the 3500 are not available yet and are also expensive (1350$) and the sola 2k donít have the correct beam angle/coverage.

Maybe a stupid question here, but I was wondering if it could be good to use 3 lights (basically 3 sola) to cover the are from the WA lens (especially considering I already have one 1200 for macro and focus). Does this sound like an option or not at all feasible (meaning the mangroves >100deg are the alternative at 1lbs buoyancy )

UDViver, you may have mentioned it, but may I ask again what lights are you using for the 7-14 ?

#22 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Maybe a stupid question here, but I was wondering if it could be good to use 3 lights (basically 3 sola) to cover the are from the WA lens (especially considering I already have one 1200 for macro and focus). Does this sound like an option or not at all feasible (meaning the mangroves >100deg are the alternative at 1lbs buoyancy)

Not a stupid question at all. For a long time I used 3 Sola 1200s. Now i use 2 Sola 4000s but mainly because of the longer battery life and the ability to do sunlit fill.

The advantage of 3 x 60 degree lights is you can have the middle light aimed slightly lower, keeping an even light coverage as you truck unto a subject.

Three lights has one other advantage, you can have a light fail and still keep shooting most MS and CU shots.

Regards
Peter.

#23 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

I’ve also adopted the GH2 and found it is an amazing hybrid system. I’ve tested it intensively against the nex7 and for video, it is a no brainer: the level of details you get with the gh2, even lower patch, is just amazing. Landscape and foliage but also for macro shots are outstanding (still picture are better on nex7, but I have a dslr for still above water and I think it is easier to tweak stills, not saying that the gh2 still aren’t great).
I’ve tested many hacks, and keep the 44Mbs from EOSDH due to size, while the sanity and sedna are giving better results if you look very closely (but at a cost of x5 the size).
I “tested” and loaded many patches (probably more 20) and never had any problem (but using a 95Mbs SD card). For quick review on slow computer, I found that VLC doesn’t always like the high datarate (above 100) and wouldn’t read them well. But it is not consistent.
I had issue with iso, but M43user helped me there with this link: http://www.personal-...usage/gh2-usage

I have the 7-14, and debating about which light system to get for uwater. Big lights (like the aditek mangrove somehow defeat the purpose), the Luna or the Fix aquavolt 5k are expensive, the 3500 are not available yet and are also expensive (1350$) and the sola 2k don’t have the correct beam angle/coverage.

Maybe a stupid question here, but I was wondering if it could be good to use 3 lights (basically 3 sola) to cover the are from the WA lens (especially considering I already have one 1200 for macro and focus). Does this sound like an option or not at all feasible (meaning the mangroves >100deg are the alternative at 1lbs buoyancy )

UDViver, you may have mentioned it, but may I ask again what lights are you using for the 7-14 ?

If you mean HDVdiver...I always use two LED 4000 lumen lights of my own design. With a beam angle of 120 degrees they easily cover the FOV of the 7-14mm.

Edited by HDVdiver, 10 May 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#24 stargost

stargost

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Not a stupid question at all. For a long time I used 3 Sola 1200s. Now i use 2 Sola 4000s but mainly because of the longer battery life and the ability to do sunlit fill.

The advantage of 3 x 60 degree lights is you can have the middle light aimed slightly lower, keeping an even light coverage as you truck unto a subject.

Three lights has one other advantage, you can have a light fail and still keep shooting most MS and CU shots.

Regards
Peter.

Thank you! I may go this path indeed. How buoyant are the 4000 are really ?

If you mean HDVdiver...I always use two LED 4000 lumen lights of my own design. With a beam angle of 120 degrees they easily cover the FOV of the 7-14mm.

sorry for the mispelling and yes, I'm also looking at your ligths...

#25 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thank you! I may go this path indeed. How buoyant are the 4000 are really ?

Slightly negative. About half a kilo for the pair and arms.