5 replies to this topic

#1 kazb

kazb

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Hi.

I shoot stills and my dive buddy shots video. Problem is that his setup with a DV Sony HC7 and a Sea & Sea housing is getting old and he want to move on to something better - he can't even do manual white balance.

Now the question is what do you guys think - He is only shooting video and no stills. Should he move over to a DSLR setup or go with a new video setup ?

He likes the posibility of changing lenses. He has been looking at some Sony Handycam setups but want "better" quality.

So what do you think - DSLR ( D7000 / D800 / MKII / MKIII ) or videosetup.

Greets
Kenneth

Olympus OMD-EM1 still no housing :)

#2 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'm in the same situation. Hopefully someone will reply here soon.... Don't hold your breath though.

Edited by kun1, 13 April 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi
The problem with DSLR's for video is you are very limited to the type of shots you can get during a dive.
With a video camera and a good housing it's possible to shoot a Nudibranchs gill and a Whale Shark on the same dive :-)
You can also zoom way into subjects and pull back on the fly.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 seok

seok

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

I think video setup is still the better choice, and if budget allows get a nice wide angle port (ie Fathom 90 degree).

#5 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

Hi
The problem with DSLR's for video is you are very limited to the type of shots you can get during a dive.
With a video camera and a good housing it's possible to shoot a Nudibranchs gill and a Whale Shark on the same dive :-)
You can also zoom way into subjects and pull back on the fly.

Hi Wagsy, I'm not to sure what you mean, why can't you get these shots with a DSLR? Surely you can also zoom in with a DSLR?

I think video setup is still the better choice, and if budget allows get a nice wide angle port (ie Fathom 90 degree).

Please could you tell me/us why you think its a better choice?

The main reason i'm personally looking at a DSLR is, the cost of a rig thats going to give decent video quality such as a ex1-r seem to be 3 times the price of say a 5d mk ii rig, not to mention the huge difference in size and weight to deal with whilst travelling.

#6 kazb

kazb

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I will pass it on to my buddy.

Kenneth

Olympus OMD-EM1 still no housing :)