• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

I'd still have to figure out how to mate it up too my housing. Looks like it's pretty much set up for DSLR's? Plus I think you'd need a tripod head for it. So, the base at $200, a tripod head at $189 (unless you can buy it seperate from the clamp). Or am I missing something? Do you have a tripod head on yours, to tilt and position??

Actually, here's the Light and Motion base..... http://www.backscatt...it-tb-lmi.lasso

same issue though, seems like you need a tripod head.

Greg

Greg,
No I don't use a tripod head. And yes I do use a dslr. Since you are looking at backscatter, I would just call them and ask. They see a lot of stuff. And their people do incredible macro video. I called and asked about tripods and was leaning in different direction and their comments made sense to me. I talked to rusty there and he told me all the problems with the other style of tripods. And why the xit excelled.
Last week while I was in lembeh, talking to some of the guys that own and run the resort I was at had a couple gorilla pods on the camera table, but the xit was on his video rig (not dslr) And said it was by far the best. He only wished he had the twist clamps.
Anyway that is my 2 cents. I have only used mine on 1 trip and I thought it was awesome. And once I got down with some current, I am glad I had the stability.
Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#22 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Here is post from someone who uses the xit404 tripod
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=45724
Also, if you browse backscatters video section, the lembeh video was done with it as well.
Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#23 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

I use a big Gorilla Pod tripod. It's relatively light, you can fold the arms up around the body, making it easy to carry to the boat and the arms are great for easily positioning when you want to use them. You just need the L&M tripod adapter plate thing. Total cost less than $120 for both I think. Pretty much everything on my website (see my sig) is shot with this setup.

Edited by liquidguru, 02 May 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#24 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

G'day Greg,
Congrats mate on your purchase. I think you will be happy with it. The float makes a huge difference & you may even need a stix float around the lens itself. This is how mine is setup http://wetpixel.com/...php/t43699.html
I use a gorilla grip tripod which cost about $50 from memory. I think mine is the 3kg version as my housing is almost neutral bouyant underwater. I find it works great.
Can't wait to see your footage.
Cheers Pete.

www.duai.com.au

Stockist of Gates/Subal/Archon/Flip3.1

#25 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

My plastic Gorillapods went all floppy with use underwater. I ended up most of the joints superglued. Are you guys using the plastic ones or the more recent metal version?

#26 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

I've been using my plastic one full-time for the last two years and it's manged to stay very stiff!! No floppy problems to report. It was the thickest one I could find when I bought it.. it still squeaks like crazy when I adjust it and is working great.

At rest with the legs folded up

Posted Image

Posted Image

Standing on it's own three...

Posted Image

Kaj

Liquidguru's Website

DIA_sig_new.png

#27 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

I'd like to hear some feedback on the macromate. Funny thing is, I was looking at that for my DSLR/Aquatica setup and the backscatter folks pretty much talked me out of it saying it wouldn't be that effective. Maybe it will in the vid application?

Yeah, when I bought my housing from Backscatter, they suggested that I not get a MacroMate at the same time saying that the DOF would be too tight and hard to focus.

Anyone have any experience with it? As far as memory cards I got 2 64gb SDXC cards. I also bought the float for the housing to trim it out. Out of curiosity how long do your housing display batteries last?

I bought a couple of sets of high power rechargeable batteries (2600 mAh, as I recall), and get two approximately one hour dives out of them. They would probably last a bit longer, but that was a convenient time to swap. I did try some high power lithium AA's and they lasted longer (maybe three or four dives, as I recall).
Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#28 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

My Gorilla grip looks the same as yours Kaj. No erection problems for me either... :)
Cheers Pete.

www.duai.com.au

#29 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, when I bought my housing from Backscatter, they suggested that I not get a MacroMate at the same time saying that the DOF would be too tight and hard to focus.

I bought a couple of sets of high power rechargeable batteries (2600 mAh, as I recall), and get two approximately one hour dives out of them. They would probably last a bit longer, but that was a convenient time to swap. I did try some high power lithium AA's and they lasted longer (maybe three or four dives, as I recall).

Interesting about the macromate. Thanks for the battery info!! Are the lithiums rechargeable??

G'day Greg,
Congrats mate on your purchase. I think you will be happy with it. The float makes a huge difference & you may even need a stix float around the lens itself. This is how mine is setup http://wetpixel.com/...php/t43699.html
I use a gorilla grip tripod which cost about $50 from memory. I think mine is the 3kg version as my housing is almost neutral bouyant underwater. I find it works great.
Can't wait to see your footage.
Cheers Pete.

Hiya Pete,

Yeah, still trying to decide on the tripod.... the gorilla pod sounds easy, but the ULCS clamp with the tripod head is a pretty sweet set up too.
Similan Islands....
http://www.flickr.co...804385191/show/

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

Canon HF S30, L&M Housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

#30 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

The best batteries for the back plate, hands down, are the Eneloop XX 2500.... they beat, for me, any other AA rechargeable, whether that rechargeable has a higher capacity or not. I have got over 4 hours use out of them.

Liquidguru's Website

DIA_sig_new.png

#31 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

Kaj & Pete, Are your Gorillapods plastic or metal? My plastic ones were really a dead loss after a few dives. And they never emitted the slightest squeak (unlike Locline).

#32 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:45 AM

Kaj & Pete, Are your Gorillapods plastic or metal? My plastic ones were really a dead loss after a few dives. And they never emitted the slightest squeak (unlike Locline).

Mine are plastic. They are very stiff and haven't loosened up at all.

Liquidguru's Website

DIA_sig_new.png

#33 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

Mine too, plastic & hard all the way.....
I do rinse mine in warm fresh water with some baby shampoo after diving, along with all my video gear actually.
Mine has probably been on 20 dives so far but still as tight as day one.
Hope it stays that way.
Cheers Pete.

www.duai.com.au

#34 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

Interesting about the macromate. Thanks for the battery info!! Are the lithiums rechargeable??

Sorry, yes, those are rechargeables. I forget the brand, but can look it up when I get home if it matters. I just did a google search for high power rechargeable AA batteries and bought the ones with the best specs.
Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#35 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Mine are plastic. They are very stiff and haven't loosened up at all.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try the Eneloop XX 2500 that LG recommends. Here's my stoopid question for the day, can these be recharged in a normal AA charger??
Similan Islands....

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

#36 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

They sure can, any old aa charger should work fine.
Cheers pete

www.duai.com.au

#37 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

They sure can, any old aa charger should work fine.
Cheers pete

Pete... you're my hero Amigo .... :P
Similan Islands....

#38 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

I have 4 sets of sanyo eneloops & so far they have charged in every charger i stick them in.
So where's your videos greg? I wanna see some stuff!
Cheers Pete.

www.duai.com.au

#39 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

I have 4 sets of sanyo eneloops & so far they have charged in every charger i stick them in.
So where's your videos greg? I wanna see some stuff!
Cheers Pete.

:P Patience... We're heading to Cozumel in 20 days !!! It's the warm up trip for Wakatobi in October :rose:
Similan Islands....

#40 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try the Eneloop XX 2500 that LG recommends. Here's my stoopid question for the day, can these be recharged in a normal AA charger??

They will charge, but..... The thing that kills rechargeable batteries is rapid chargers and the heat they generate when charging. I use a La Crosse charger (link) and you can set the recharge rate. It can charge at 200mA (very slow but the best for the batteries - takes about 13 hours), 500mA (what I use, takes about 5 hours to recharge) or 700mA (quick but batteries get very hot). It can also charge individual batteries depending on how much charge they need. This is a much better solution to a quick charger and worth every penny.

Liquidguru's Website

DIA_sig_new.png