• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

You'll probably want the 100 with extension tubes and external diopters. For fish, the 24-105 is a very versatile lens behind the dome. You'll need a +3 diopter for it to focus behind the 8" dome.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 matt215

matt215

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

I was wondering about that 24-105. I've also got a 50mm macro but not an l lens.
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

#23 kyzy23

kyzy23

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've always chased big animals, but I'm looking to branch out and visit Indonesia. So I have a few questions...

When is the best time of year to go?

I want to hit raja ampat and Komodo (for the dragons). Is this possible in one trip.

I understand there are mantas. Where can they be found?

As far as little stuff goes, I want to find mandarin fish, Nemo fish, and those kelp dragon looking things. Cuttlefish would be nice too. Are these everywhere or just in certain locations?

What liveaboards can you recommend?

Thanks...

#24 kyzy23

kyzy23

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Matt215 - bversteegh report was right on. If you haven't done any small critter, diving Lembeh probably should be put on the back burner for awhile until your macro skills are touched upon. Komoto has big and little things. Sharks and mantas, nudis and shrimp. Water is clear. Current can be an issue but that is why you get the big things there. Current/drift diving is a great way to see lots of stuff with little effort. The Mermaid 2 was a nice boat and one single cabin. Great crew, food, and diving. The cabins where roomy, clean, and comfortable with hot water showers. 4-5 dives a day. A visit to see the dragons. Water can be cooler. I had a 7 mm for about 1/2 the dives. Others were in shorts and a rash guide. Water was @ times 72 degs. I spent a few days in Amed before the trip. Nice area - away from the busy Tulemben area. Great shore diving. I stayed @ the Baliku. For the most part, the rooms were fine - in need of a facelift which is being done. BIG rooms with a great view. BEST food around. Donna, the owner is a founding member of the area. Great stories. GREAT GREAT FOOD!! Dive shop is right below the hotel and some dive spots are right across the street. No complaints from the dive guides. Enjoy your trip and allow time to take in the wonderful people in Bali. I have info on tours if you might be interested.

#25 JayKav

JayKav

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

Trying to get on a liveaboard to Komodo, w/o much success (all booked out). Is it worth it to do 5-6 nights at a resort in Komodo for diving? Or should I go elsewhere (Alor, Timor, Flores?) Looking for some place that's easily accessible from Bali.