No replies to this topic

#1 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

When we booked the Philippines Siren trip, almost two years ago, it sold out immediately just by word of mouth. Now, with about 6 months left prior to departure we have had four cancellations. This is very unusual, but I hope creates an opportunity for someone out there who will be eager to join a terrific itinerary in the Philippines with us, on semi-short notice.

The nuts and bolts of the trip are as follows:

Philippines aboard luxury live-aboard Philippine Siren, October 19 - 29, 2012, Price $3,400 per person - The Philippine Siren is a 40-meter sailing yacht. Featuring only 8 double cabins, she is a gorgeous vessel, as you can deduce from these photos, and by perusing their website: http://www.worldwide...ppinesiren.html

This below is a description of the itinerary as we've worked it out with the Siren Fleet, their words as follows:

"Starting in Dauin from the Atmosphere Resort and culminating in Cebu at the yacht club (5 mins from the airport). I think with this trip you will have a great mix of opportunity for macro, wide angle and split shots. Perhaps quick summary for you:
Dauin dark sand critter diving. There are plenty of options for dive sites and we can pick based on how many other divers are in the area. My favourites were Dauin North and Masapolod but the local guides find new areas all the time.
Apo Island fabulous corals, table corals and hard coral bommies would recommend as a wide angle day. Big school of jacks but at that site you can expect a fast drift so it may not be ideal. Concentrate on the corals
Moalboal macro diving
Pescador huge schools of sardines and colourful reefs thresher sharks and whale sharks likely
Sumilon & Oslob- where the whale sharks are currently coming up to the fisherman. I scheduled 1 day here but it really depends on the feeling of the group. Whale sharks virtually guaranteed at this spot.
Balicasag steep walls and lots of cracks, crevices and overhangs with soft corals, fans and black coral youll need the dive guides for your models here for sure! Great for turtles, big school of jacks and barracudas, some currents can be expected.
Panglao predominantly macro
Cabilao Depending on light conditions, I would say its a great island for split shots. I found some very interesting critters such as plakobranchs but the corals in the shallows I think will have the most appeal. Its the last day and youll have had better opportunity for macro earlier on in the trip.
Overall I think the region offer terrific macro, with great corals. Dont expect many schools of fish- except the sardines at Pescador and the jacks at Apo & Balicasag. There are photo-friendly fish but it tends to be more the smaller anthias, butterfly fish, trigger fish and so on rather than larger groupers or wrasse. My personal view is the diving is fantastic plenty of critters and lots of colour. Its also pretty easy diving and there is always lots to see in shallow water so you can extend dive times whilst making a long safety stop."

For info - info@waterhousetours.com
PhilippineSiren.jpg
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com